Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor HowardL
Occasional Contributor

NBN Faulty

14 days ago the nbn guy came and installed the nbn modem and connected it to the 25 year old Telstra BigPond Cable box. We used that broadband service until 10 years ago when it became so unreliable we switched to Optus cable internet.

when the nbn guy came the Optus modem had been delivered and we hooked it up and had good speed.

an hour after he left the net dropped out and the nbn lower lights were flashing or off. obviously an nbn problem. I reconnected the old cable modem all ok.

Long short, the new Optus nbn has been down  for some hours for 8 of the last 14days (we were away for 6 days). The Optus guy came this morning to install their modem and was happy it was all working. An hour after he left it dropped out Again!

Ive called nbn and Optus so many times I’ve lost count. I’ve been in I.t. For 50 years so I do know stuff.

So my question is: What Einstein decided to use the 25yo pigbond cable to link our new $78Billion super fast nationwide internet to our homes?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: NBN Faulty

What a frustrating experience, HowardL.

What type of NBN connection do you have?

I'm afraid we're unable to assist here and based on your knowledge I'll spare sending you the basic dropouts troubleshooting steps, suggestion would be if you have a social media account, send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.
If not, please Chat with us or Message Us from your My Optus App under the Help menu. 

That way you won't have to keep repeating your issue and have a message history for yourself and the agent.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Ray_YCThanks for your comments.

As mentioned the type of connection is Optus nbn using the old Telstra bigpond coax to connect to (presumably) the nearest fibre optic nbn node. No new connections have been dug or installed at our property; just the new nbn modem supplied.

The net has been up and down 3 times today, currently down and I’ve had 4 texts from Optus saying its up/down not reflecting the actual connection status at the times.

I’ve stayed home all afternoon today because an nbn tech was supposed to visit but no show. I just Hope he’s busy fixing the problem in a cable pit up the street.

Also I can’t login to MyOptus app because it rejects my landline phone no. as the service no. although on phoning Optus support that is the only reference I have.

Apart from the above, all’s fine! 😱😡🤣

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Sounds like you have the HFC NBN connection, where it uses the exisiting HFC network to connect to the NBN. One of the issue is that NBN pays installer/contractors by the jobs. So more job more pay, there are many cowboys out there who will take what ever short cut possible. Your installer must of seen the exisiting cable is still in good condition and not need or spend more time to pull in a new cable for you. Which is fair, my father's place had Telstra cable prior migrating to NBN, exisiting cable are used and the connection is solid. I said the installer would installed a new filter and connectors in that old bigpond. From what you saying about your phone, my guess is the provision isn't fully complete. Maybe do some troubleshooting, have you able to identify where the fault(s) is, ie to rule out faults from the old bigpond box on ward?

From your post, wow, 50 years, must of seen alot of changes though our your path, the Amdahl 470 would of just came out when you started. My first glimpce was Pong and first touch was the Atari 2600 (ofcourse we can't count the good old calculator). 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi SillyG thanks for your comments. 

Ive attached  screenshot of my response because this app keeps erroring without highlighting the problem. Cheers HowardL

157D5E51-C0D9-4078-B600-71FE6D35E28F.png

Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

@HowardL Thank you for the update and fingers crossed for you. Yes, overall ISP and NBN communication with end users can be and should be  much better. I've experienced your frustration with taking time off to wait for a technician to turn up and no one shows. 

My first experience with punch cards is with the Tic Tac Toe. Good of days. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy