Searching...
Highlighted

NBN FTTP BYO router NO VoIP

Wey2Go123

Do I just need WAN IP, netmask and gateway configured to the WAN port to have my BYO router working? Optus tech support cannot even provide simple question like this. Kept telling me that I have to use the Optus Sagem router. All other ISPs I use (Telstra, TPG and Exetel) can provide me with the info and connect very quickly.

Really unhappy and poor service from Optus tech support.

Re: NBN FTTP BYO router NO VoIP

Jeneral__Pain

Optus, Telstra and other providers will not guide you on how to set up devices they do not support. Use their hardware, and they'll help you 100%, other devices is always 'best effort' support.

You don't need anything to use your own router, set it for DHCP/IPoE and that will be it. I would strongly recommend just plugging in the Optus router for 72 hours just purely so the voice service provisions and completes the billing order successfully. Otherwise, you're likely to have billing issues.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

Wey2Go123

I am not even asking for steps or procedures on how to configure my BYO router. 

Just asking for basic network information to connect. 

1) my WAN IP

2) netmask to use

3) gateway

4) DNS Server/s

Very basic info for my service. I can handle the rest. 

The silly tech support cannot even provide the most basic info. I have never come across tech support that know this little. 

Anyway, I have managed to fiddle around with the figures and managed to configure and connect. What needs to take less than 5 minutes became couple of hours work. 

Worst support I have ever  come across. Only thing is they are still courteous after all this. 

Jeneral__Pain

I'll point out again, and as someone who "knows what these things are", I'm assuming you know that "DHCP/IPoE" hands out this information to your router automatically. 

You DO NOT NEED TO CONFIGURE the following settings if you have DHCP/IPoE setting active on your "routers WAN port":

* IP Address

* Subnet Mask

* Default Gateway

* DNS Servers

That said, a simple Google search "Optus DNS Server IP addresses" yielded the following link:

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/fixed-mobile-broadband-ip-addresses-email-tech-settings...

It shouldn't have taken you 5 hours to activate DHCP/IPoE on your preferred router. If you are "statically assigning the IP" to avoid your IP changing, then you're going to run into issues when that DHCP server hands out manually set IP to someone else because it's not aware your using it statically (since it did not hand it out).

Whilst you are running such a custom config (manually assigned settings), you run the risk of all kinds of problems. And these are AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

petergdownload

The Optus modem is needed to be plugged in to activate the service. After that plug any modem into its WAN port and it should work fine with no other settings. You won't be able to use the landline VOIP / calls on a non Optus modem 

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
37 Kudos
30 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos