Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN FTTN dropouts

I used to have ADSL2+ for about 4 years without any issues. Once I got NBN FTTN I get continuous dropouts ranging from 10 to 30 plus a day. I’ve been told the issue I have is I have a bridged tap and I need to reduce the length of the cable which is 22 meter long.

My question; is the issue really at my house? If so why didn’t I have any issue with ADSL2+ ?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: NBN FTTN dropouts

The causes in rough order are:

- something wonky in the node

- congestion bogging everything up

- copper wire degrading from node to house

- something in the house

This needs to be worked through by the NBN, but Optus is opaque and drops the ball. Aussie Broadband keeps you in the loop and gets it fixed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

FTTN is trying to get much higher speeds along the same line. Its possible this aggressive approach can lead to drop outs. What speeds are you getting / on?

A bridged tap and 22m seems pretty specific advice? I'd be inclined to start there as it sounds reasonable. You can request Optus arrange for NBNCo to investigate but if its found to be a problem in your house then you'll be charge a call out fee ($250 or so)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Hi @Davo12, I've seen this issue come up in the past. 

Had we raised a case with NBNco, who'd then advised of the bridge tap?

If the bridge tap is in-fact the cause of the issue, you'll need to reach out to a registered cabler.

ISP's won't touch your internal wiring. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the replies everyone.

But is there’s been no changes made to the house, when ADSL2+ was working fine for 4 year without any issue at all. Then I change to NBN  FTTN and have constant dropouts. What’s the chances the issue is still related to the house.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

https://mrtelco.com/questions/nbn/bridge-tap-in-phone-line-vdsl-nbn-internet-phone

If VDSL won't work with many hookup points in your house, then you have get rid of them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Hmm, can I go in and check the notes left on the account?

I just want to see how we'd gone about identifying the bridge tip. 

@Davo12, send us a PM with your details

• Full name
  • DOB
  • Account number
  • Fault #
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

FTTN is a new technology. The fact ADSL worked isn't an absolute indicator that FTTN will.

The answer is no one knows if its inside your house or out. But its best to discount the inside bit first before being charged for a unnecessary call out. If you're not worried about the $250 fee then just ask Optus to send out an NBN tech to do some tests.

I don't think you've explaind where you were told about the unbridged caps, but as I said before someone has told you something pretty specific is the problem. But you don't seem to want to follow that advice.

Either way the choice is yours on which way to proceed.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have been having dropouts for around 2 months now. 10 - 20 a day, whenever i contact optus i get told nothing is wrong or something is wrong with our cable.
Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Are you on the NBN yet?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos