cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

NBN FTTN Activation extremely delayed?

Hi all

So I am currently with Exetel FTTN. 
My parents have agreed to pay for my internet and have ordered an additional service to their account so that they can cover the NBN at my house.

So my parents put in the order the new NBN plan on the 02/12/2019. Modem has arrived 05/12/2019. To this date my internet has not been activated. I have made three separate contacts with Optus chat who advised me on each occasions that the service would be activated within 24-48hrs. Both which have passed. Extremely angry we went with Optus.

Has anyone experienced slow activations?
Generally with FTTN churning it should take 20 minutes? I've heard of people changing between Aussie Broadband or Superloop only take 30 minutes to swap providers. Why is it taking forever for mine?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN FTTN Activation extremely delayed?

I agree R3X that is totally not good enough. Even if there is an issue, that problem should have been communicated to you. You are actually meant to have an NBN "concierge" assigned to you though. A single person that is meant to ensure the process moves smoothly etc. Has that not happened?

Yes moving onto the NBN should normally take 20 minutes, but that is after the first connection. The first connection is always the most difficult and time consuming.

At this stage I would cut my losses. Contact Optus and cancel the order. Then contact another provider who can hopefully progress things faster (or at least tell you what is going on). You mention ABB and I would probably suggest them as a good alternative. They have month to month plans so you can hopefully get connected to the NBN and then if you decide jump to a different RSP (including back to Optus) then the second switch should be almost immediate.

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

No I havent been assigned a concierge and attempting to get a direct number or someone who I can deal with directly has been extremely difficult. I called today try resolve it and they have disconnected my provider with exetel and now I'm concerned there will be no internet for my children on Christmas Eve and Christmas. I've tried to get a 4G backhaul but they have no idea what I'm even talking about. Extremely frustrated I should've just cancelled. Now I'm at the helm of Optus actually activating it now because I'm without internet. I seriously do not understand why it is so difficult for Optus to activate. What is worst is they REQUIRE you use their modem for activation whereas every other company you can have a BYO modem for activation. Not much faith in Optus activating within 24 hours. Should I lodge a TIO complaint
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Christmas period aside. TIO will generally want you to make a formal written complaint to Optus first. After 14 days you can submit to TIO who will take 14 days to ask Optus to respond. Who will take 14 days to respond. Hopefully.

As suggested, just cancel the order. Another RSP can't act while an order is in place.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos