Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

NBN (FTTC) connection to a home with an Optus cable home phone line

Golfnut28

The NBN is supposed to be available at my address by the end of March 2019. The planned NBN technology is FTTC. Currently, my broadband and phone services are provided through the Optus HFC cable. When the Optus technician installed the phone line, he cut the Telstra line, located in the roof space, and terminated the street end of the line in a Telstra Type 610 socket. The other end of the Telstra line, which goes to my family room, was connected to the incoming Optus phone line and the connection located in a junction box.

My question is, who is responsible for disconnecting the Optus phone line and reconnecting the line to the Telstra phone line, so that NBN can provide me with an active FTTC connection for an NBN connection box?

I’ve heard that NBN will only provide the NBN connection box if there is an active Telstra line available. They don’t carry out the disconnection of the Optus phone line and reconnection to the Telstra line. I’m assuming (probably wrongly) that, if I choose Optus as my NBN provider, Optus will carry out the phone line changeover free of charge? But, what if I choose another NBN provider, will I have to pay for the phone line changeover?

If anyone has already gone through the above exercise, I would be very grateful if you could let me know what your experiences were.  

Many thanks.

Re: NBN (FTTC) connection to a home with an Optus cable home phone line

petergdownload

NBNCo will generally hook your house up free of charge. If they need to run wires from the street to your wall they'll do that. I'm not sure but its possible they may charge a connection fee of up to $300 but if that applies (and I don't think it will) that will be the same no matter which ISP you select to go with (Optus or any other) as it is an NBN charge. 

The Optus network will be physically dismantelled in three years. Optus  will shut it down anyway in June 2019 after the NBN arrives. You can contact Optus at anytime and request they remove (they'll do it for free) a cable so perhaps do that once you're all set on the NBN.

Basically there's nothing you need to do (or can control) as such. Just wait until the NBN arrives and start looking at RSPs (including Optus). Pick one and you're set.

Peter Gillespie

Solution

Golfnut28

Many thanks for your prompt reply, Peter.

I just found this article on the "Tech Guide" website: http://www.techguide.com.au/news/internet-news/weve-finally-connected-nbn-heres-experience/. It appears that NBN Co might not do the changeover, unless they have had a change of policy.

I'll take your advice and wait and see what happens when NBN Co arrive to do the connection.

John

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

I've requested clarification by the NBNCo, but FWIW the article you mentioned is not specific on this. All that the technician said was that he couldn't do the job without the cable in place. As most homes have an existing cable NBNCo would have a different team for digging a trench and feeding a cable to your home. Since the author actually had a lead in line we never really got to find out what would have happened otherwise. AFAIK all older homes will get one free install of the NBN to their wall from the street.  

You could always request Telstra install a line in your home to the pit ($299 I believe) to be all ready up  front but NBNCo will do it for free (worst case scenario they'll charge the same $300 which as I said will be unavoidable if that's the case). Just make sure your chosen RSP knows you don't have a Telstra lead in when you jump.

Peter Gillespie

Jeneral__Pain

Right let me clarify a couple of things, because your phone goes through the Optus "CAU" on the side of the house. You probably don't have an existing Telstra copper drop/cable/trenched/cable.

So for you to get FTTC, you'll need to have separate copper to do this. You could use the guides available on the NBNCo website and get a private tech to have the drop cable and trench done ready for NBNCo to come out and do it. Now, if you rejected NBNCo when they "first came around" to do it, and are now doing it, you may suffer a $300 "new development fee" which is an NBNCo levied fee not Optus (and ps, the fee will be applied by NBNCo on any RSP not just Optus).

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

Golfnut28

Thank you Peter G and Jeneral_Pain for your replies.

To clarify my situation. I already have a Telstra lead-in cable from the street, which was cut by the Optus phone installer. He then connected the cut end of the Telstra lead-in to a Telecom Type 610 phone socket. The problem is that he did this up in the roof-space above our garage, not at ground level. He said the purpose of the socket was to allow Telstra to connect their test equipment to the line so that they could test it should I ever want to change back to the Telstra network.

So, before I can get a working FTTC connection, I will need to swap the connection to the house (located in the roof-space) over from the Optus lead-in (located in a junction box next to the Telecom Type 610 phone socket) to the Telstra lead-in. I could simply do the swap over myself, as I have plenty of Telstra phone cable, Type 605 phone plugs and the competence to do it. But, why should I do it, when there will be loads of Optus cable phone customers in the same predicament as me. Besides, NBN will have to check the Telstra line to make sure it is still viable before swapping over the line to the house. I don't want to disconnect the Optus lead-in before the Telstra lead-in has been tested, only to be left without a home phone service, should the Telstra lead-in be faulty and need to be replaced.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.  

petergdownload

So you should be all set. Just like the person in that article.

There are thousands of cable setups in households every where. A FTTC connection will generally be done out in the street without any need to enter your premises (one of its big benefits). The Telstra cable will come in somewhere underground and then up the wall somewhere? A NBNCo Technician will generally just ensure there is a phone wall point that that goes into (some are happy to do some room swapping others not so much - but its up to them where they put it (you can only ask nicely)

FWIW I'd just get some orange conduit and do the internal cable run yourself. Just find out where the Telstra Cable pops up and dig a line across to where you want ot to come out. Put in a draw through cable so the NBNCo guy can just pull the copper through as needed (as long as they're happy to. Its a little see how it goes on the day.

Peter Gillespie

Golfnut28

Thanks for the advice, Peter.

I think I'll just take a punt that the Telstra lead-in still works and I'll do the reconnect myself before the NBN Co guy gets here. Then he can choose any of the sockets inside the house to connect his NBN box.

The Telstra lead-in is in a conduit under the concrete driveway. So if it's no good, all they have to do is use the old cable to pull the new lead-in through the conduit, assuming the conduit didn't get damaged during the concrete pour. If it did, then I'm in big trouble, as the whole front of my property is concreted with patterned concrete, which I don't want ripped up. It would have to be bored under at great expense to me, I would think.

John

Jeneral__Pain

Don’t use “610” for FTTc, please change it over to RJ11 as they cope far better.

also given how long you’ve had this change, probably get an open cable licensed tech to do this as that way you’ve got cat5 minimum doing the job. 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

Golfnut28

Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to use Scotchloc 2 wire gel filled splice connectors to join the existing Telstra lead-in to a brand new 2 pair phone cable, which I'm going to run to the rumpus room. The end of the cable will be terminated in a Keystone RJ11 socket on a wall plate. I think that should do the trick nicely. I have plenty of new phone cable that I want to use up. I'll only resort to cat5e if the line speed isn't up to scratch with the phone cable.  

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
68 Kudos
28 Kudos
27 Kudos
26 Kudos
17 Kudos