Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor jamiek
New Contributor

NBN FTTB: Wifi connected but no internet

Ref#21739811

Coming up to 2 weeks now, I have had no internet despite my devices being able to connect to the wifi modem. This is hard when you're running a business. 

Basically:

1. Internet stopped working on the old modem (Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 3864)

2. Optus couldn't see anything wrong with its NBN connection, so they sent out a new NBN modem (Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 5366)

3. New modem had the same issue (devices could find the modem and connect to it by Wifi, but it had no internet). Lights wise, the DSL and internet lights are on, but not flashing. I have tried both turning on and off, as well as resetting the modem. 

4. NBN called and followed up, and confirmed that there is nothing wrong with the new modem's NBN connection. An Optus technician was then booked for the earliest available timeslot on the same call. 

5. I received a text message that the technician was due to arrive between 8am-12pm 22/10/19, but on the day, nobody showed up

Reading a few of the other threads, this issue sounded remarkably quite similar to Case ID 19055585 (https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/Optus-modem-connected-but-no-Internet-cannot-ping-Optus-Gateway...). Is it possible for somebody to fix this remotely? It seems like this is an Optus issue. 

It's coming up to 2 weeks now, and I'm relying on mobile hotspotting to run my business. And to allocate part of the day for the technician to arrive for for him/her to not show up is a waste of time and simply unacceptable.  

PLEASE FIX IT.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: NBN FTTB: Wifi connected but no internet

Thanks for including the fault ticket # @jamiek. It makes it a whole lot easier to find out exactly what's going on.

We do have an open ticket with NBNco. They've come back and advised the following, " We are able to send data but we’re not receiving data from the customers side, the issue is likely a modem or layer 3 related fault. Please consider testing another modem at the premise or talking to your tier 2 and tier 3 network teams."

Now, Optus ticket states that an Optus technician has been re-booked for today between 12:00PM - 5:00PM. Have you heard back from us today?

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor jamiek
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the update.

An Optus technician attended the premises today (24/10) in the morning. He tested the new modem that I had received days earlier, as well as a new one of the same model that he had brought with him. Failed both times. And given that there were no internet connection for a total of 3 modems now, he ruled out anything wrong with the modem (he said it was NBN related). He mentioned that a NBN tech would be attending the premise to check the FTTB connections. 

Shortly after the technician left, an Optus service member called and ran some more additional tests remotely. I relayed all the same information to him. He said that he would try to get a NBN technician to attend the premises because he couldn't see one requested on my file (as per the Optus technician). He then said that he couldn't request a NBN tech to attend because NBN has to run their own test to see if they're able to fix it remotely, before sending someone. I was left at that, and was told to wait for NBN to do the tests and for someone to call.

Dan, I assume that the tests that you mentioned was the one NBN was supposed to do remotely. What's the next steps?

Cheers,

Jamie 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hmm, we're still detecting a barely measurable amount of data from the modem.

I've gone ahead and emailed our case management team to advise them of the situation. I've used the contact details that we've already captured on the Optus fault ticket. I've outlined everything that's already been done. 

Normally, for these kinds of cases there's a process flow that we'll follow:

1) We'll raise a ticket on our and NBN

2) We'll brief them with a summary of the issue and any diagnostics we've run

3) They'll come and perform a series of tests. Based on the test results, they'll either book out a field technician or advise us that the issue is on our side 

NBN have now closed the trouble ticket we've raised as, "no fault found." We're now in the frustrating position of going back and forth to confirm where the fault lies. Given we've sent out a contractor and sent out 3 replacements - that should be enough to get an NBN technician on site. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Dan_C  ,

Given that you are getting even some data from modem, is it possible that maybe there is some 0/0 shaping that has been accidentally applied, or that it somehow lost the speed tier and therefore has no speed applied at all?.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Iyuyongli2017
New Contributor

We got the same problem. Did you get the problem solved?
0 Kudos
New Contributor jamiek
New Contributor

Hey @Iyuyongli2017 

The problem was fixed on 29 October. Optus couldn't pinpoint what the issue was in the end.

But as fate would have it, the problem has come back again (from Sunday 10 Nov). I have yet to contact the service team for a new fault ticket.

Basically, the telephone light on the modem went out (similar to last time) and this coincided with no internet connection.   

0 Kudos