Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Lollies
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN Dropouts

Changed over to the NBN, a couple of weeks ago (HFC connection). The first week everything was great, on the 25mbps connection we were achieving speeds of 20-24, so were very happy. But then it all changed. Arris touchstone modem CM8200b, started rebooting itself and getting hung in a loop state. Sometimes it may reconnect in 30 mins - sometimes it is down for more than 10 hours. The Optus supplied router would sometimes connect back on and sometimes it didn't. We have 2 networked computers on a LAN plus phones on wifi. We have tried factory resetting the modem, and the router, changing the cables, letting it cool down, cycling power, we have tried contacting Optus - but get hung up on prior to the phone being answered on the 131344 and the live chat, when i get someone, drops out midway through. 

We would love some assistance from Optus or NBN as we are now unable to work from home, or do much at all. We have to use our 4g phones for internet now. And as for Fetch, well can't use that either, so its just a useless box under our TV. I would never have changed had I any inkling we would be left like this!! NBN = Nothing but nightmares! fault ref: 17489230 if anyone at Optus wants to help us get the service which you are billing us for. Very unhappy. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lollies
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: NBN Dropouts

So we have had no connection all night long and its 8.13am and still nothing. Arris box has top two lights on with 3rd flashing and the bottom light off. Hoping someone from Optus can help us. We have little or no nbn internet and i spend my entire days just trying to contact someone who can help us only to be cut off. I would never have changed had i known how bad it is. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Clarkie
Contributor
Contributor

What a nightmare!

It sounds like an NBN fault, maybe due to overheating, or just a bad modem.  I'd suggest doing 3 things:

- Use chat to log a fault with Optus (sounds like you've done this)

- Contact Optus sales and threaten to cancel the service.  They have authority to escalate, and may put in another order if they are having a good day.   Ask them to send you a 4G modem with 200GB pm to use in the interim - this will take 48 hours to deliver, and basically provides what you've paid for via a different technology.

- Log a complaint with the TIO http://www.tio.com.au .  This will ensure that both NBN and Optus will have a record of your issues, and are more likely to respond.  The TIO will do something after 30 days if you have no joy

Don't bother with the Optus call centre - its a waste of time & they can't do much anyway.

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hey @Lollies, the situation you've described certainly does sound frustrating. I've had brief scroll through the ticket we'd raised back on the 07/11/17. It looks like we'd dispatched a warranty replacement modem. Had you received this one yet? Are you able to let us know if there has been any improvement? We can always go ahead and refer you fault back through to our case management team. We'll advise that the fault is still ongoing and a call back is needed. Let us know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Lollies
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi there,

Thanks for your response. I have not yet rcvd a replacement modem, but the news today of the HFC rollout being halted until the problems are sorted out seems to indicate that this problem we are experiencing, is widespread. 

I don't think the probelm is due to faulty equipment although if we unscrew the NBN connection from Arris and put it back in again, it seems to come alive again. Just fed up of crawling under the desk to keep repeating this action several times each day.

Also, we had a text saying the problem had been fixed and the ticket was closed. It didn't give details of what they did and no one asked us if the problem is sorted. It still drops out daily, but is a little better than it was, although no where near stable enough for my husband to work from home for a day or anything like that. 

Thanks, Lollies

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Sewings
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I am currently accessing this account through my Telstra mobile data account. OPTUS is in meltdown and I no longer rely on connection through their NBN particularly when working stock markets. The only reliable connection I have is through TELSTRA mobile as Optus drops out every few minutes. I am mounting a case to recoup all my payments to Optus since signing on. This has to be one of the biggest scams I have encountered. Call support? what support.

0 Kudos
Lollies
New Contributor
New Contributor

So to update this thread... we finally have a stable connection and have had a really great customer experience with Optus. We were allocated a case consultant (Christian) who was based out of Melbourne and we agreed to have NBN Co come out to try and see if there was a fault which was causing the ongoing outages. They did indeed locate a fault which was a junction box that was all corroded and had very poor signal strength.Within 48 hours another tech was sent to fit a new part. Since then, the internet has been perfect and Optus have been in touch several times since to check that everything is still okay. We couldn't be happier to finally have this issue fixed, and I have to say the customer service has been excellent. 

0 Kudos
AlexRH
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Really glad to hear that this was the outcome @Lollies 🙂 We'll be passing your feedback on to Christian as well.

Hope you have a great upcoming weekend! Let us know if you need a hand with anything down the track. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos