Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor LBarnes
Occasional Contributor

NBN Dropouts

Hi,

I have recently been forced to switch to NBN, not something i wanted to do as i had reliable internet with

Optus Cable.

I have been supplied with the standard equipment with the NBN modem and the basic Sagecom router. I seem to experience

frequent dropouts from any device connected to the router. A quick power off and on of the router and the problem is resolved again until the next time.

My question is can i simply purchase and replace the Sagecom router with a better quality product and hopefully this resolves my issues. Anything to be aware of in doing this?

Kind Regards

Lawrence

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: NBN Dropouts

Short answer is yes, longer answer is sort of.

If you're like most people you would have signed up for either the $60 or $80 bundle with a PAYG home phone service included. If you want to totally replace the Sagecomm modem then you'll lose the phone service. If you don't care, great but if you do and want said phone service then it's slightly more complicated.

If you want the phone service then you'll need to run the Sagecomm modem but switch off the WiFi and open the NAT and then plug a router in via a LAN cable to supply your house with WiFi. 

Also, no matter what you do make sure you keep the Sagecom handy. Optus don't support third party modems so if something goes wrong and you need tech support, they'll make you plug in the Sagecom again first. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Firstly thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

Nice an easy then, do not use the phone line, have not used a landline in years.

So i can just replace and happy days, that's great news.

Is there any router you would recommend, need resonable WIFI and 4 port gigabit switch as standard.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I'll be getting the NBN early next year and have been doing some research myself. Most of this research was done on the likes of WhirlPool asking people of their own experiences rather than paid reviews but just wanted to stress while it's like the router I'll buy, I haven't used it myself. 

From a cost and performance perspective though, I'm looking at the Asus RT-AC68U. One person on here actually popped up and said it was a very easy set up on his new FTTN service he got and was significantly better then the stock modem/router. I'll be FTTP so can get rid of the Optus modem all together. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

That's funny as i was just looking at that one myself. I don't have Fibre to the premises myself, just HFC.

I will take a closer look at it and see how much i can get it for in Brisbane.

Thanks for all your help and i wish you luck for when NBN comes a knocking.

Lawrence

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Sorry one last question, i already have the Netgear CG3000 V2 modem that i was using for Optus Cable, can i use this as a replacement router for the Sagecom one instead of having to purchase another one, will this work?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Sewings
Occasional Contributor

I am currently accessing this account through my Telstra mobile data account. OPTUS is in meltdown and I no longer rely on connection through their NBN particularly when working stock markets. The only reliable connection I have is through TELSTRA mobile as Optus drops out every few minutes. I am mounting a case to recoup all my payments to Optus since signing on. This has to be one of the biggest scams I have encountered. Call support? what support.

0 Kudos