Searching...
Highlighted

NBN Dropouts & Optus chat dropouts

Frustrated2

I am on the NBN and some days have to restart my modem and router up to 5 times a day because the service drops out (both ethernet and wifi). Today I was on Optus online support and you go through all the ID stuff, finally get connected to the tech team... they do heaps of 'checks', finally make a decision to resatrt something...And then my connection goes dead. Twice today. I can get their messages, but I am unable to reply. So in addition to heaps to dropouts where I have to reset my modem and router, I get micro droputs that disconnect my VPN from work and I have to wait while it reconnects, and I can't even stay on line long enough for the tech team to do anything about it. I took a screen shot (this won't let me paste it) it says "Network connection failed, you are no longer connected to chat. Please try again later." I can't send anything but I get the tech person: 

Broc  06:10 PM
Lesley, are we still connected?
 Broc  06:12 PM
I haven't heard from you in a while, would you still like to continue our chat?
 Broc  06:14 PM
Since I haven't heard from you for some time, we'll end this chat soon. Please click to chat with us again if we can be of further help.
This happened both with Isle and Broc. I can see their messages, but I can't reply. ANd it happens just when they are about to try a fix. 
I can't reply! Optus has my home and mobile number on the account, why doesn't someone ring me? 
I am so fed up with Optus NBN. It has given me nothing but grief. 

Re: NBN Dropouts & Optus chat dropouts

petergdownload

Are you fttn NBN or cable HFC NBN?

There seems to be an issue on your line so diagnosing it using that line can be problematic. Have you tried contacting via the Optus app?

Essentially there are two main options. Optus can send out a replacement modem or Optus can request NBN send a technician to check the line.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

aman_singh

I am having the same issues since last 5 days.

Called Optus and the guy had no clue at all. He said backend team has indicated its resolved. So I asked, tell me whats the resolution and he started faking around. He then said they changed some backend settings and I must factory reset the modem to get the latest settings. Then said that I must restart my modem everyday. I said why dont you hire people who go door to door everyday restarting modems if thats how its expected to work.

So I asked the guy to be honest and admit that hes talking nonsense and he sort of confessed. They just fool around to frustrate the customer so that he just gives up. They dont know a damn thing.

They call and disconnect in 2 rings so that they don't have to talk to customers. Then send a text saying we tried calling and then just say the incident was resolved.

Dan_C

@aman_singh, doesn't sound great Smiley Sad

I'm happy to run a few tests and see if I can determine whether there's anything out of spec.

What's the primary issue that we're dealing with i.e. drop outs or slow speed? 

Can you send us a private message with your account details?
I need your full name, DOB and account number.

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Frustrated2

I am fibre to the node. 

When my neighbours connected to the NBN, I saw a technician at the node, I asked him about my dropouts and he said there was a 'faulty tap' which he would report. I assume it has never been fixed. 

No I haven't used the optus app. My mobile is a business one, I don't see why I should have to use my business data to solve my home broadband connection. I end up on line for ages talking to your tech team and still end up with the same problem. 

Let's just say I am fed up. 

Would it be possible to get a technician to come and check the line, the node and anything else to diagnose where the problem is? 

Is it the cabling outside my house? The technician who connnected the house installed the cable from the ground up to the first floor and then back down to the ground (where my modem and router are). I have been told of the 'faulty tap' in the node. 

petergdownload

A faulty 'tap' doesn't sound right for a FTTP connection. This is an issue that relates more to HFC cable connections IME (could be wrong). It sounds like the technician just gave you a generic 'Its a line issue' reponse.

Generally though households don't have direct contact with NBNCo as you must go through your ISP. If you don't want to use your mobile phone to facilitate the process then I guess that's up to you. 

Posting here might get good advise but if you want to action the issue then you need to contact Optus Customer service directly (I'd recommend online as the phone wait can be a while.) You just need to tell them you've done the diagnostics and would like Optus to arrange for NBN to send a technician to check the line. If the issue is found to be in your house (i.e. at any point after the NBN box on the wall) then you could be up for a call out $180 charge. 

However FTTP is a pretty clean technology and diagnosing the issue should hopefully be very straight forward.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Frustrated2

It is fibre to the node

petergdownload

Face Palm. Don't know why I read that incorrectly. 

Well the main advice stands. You just need to organise a NBN tech of your own to come out and see.

Peter Gillespie

Frustrated2

An NBN tech, not an Optus tech?

petergdownload

Optus no longer own the wires between them and your house. They are all controlled by NBNCo now.

NBNCo sells access to your house to Optus. Optus sells their products to you. 

If there's an issue with the line only NBNCo can do any work on it. So yes, an NBN tech (which only Optus can arrange to come out as they are NBNCo's customer, not you).

If that makes sense.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
90 Kudos
54 Kudos
28 Kudos
21 Kudos
19 Kudos