Searching...
Highlighted

NBN Disconnects/Lag

nhathd

Hi,
I have had NBN with Optus for about a month now and approximately every couple of days the connection just times out. The lights on the modem still flash for DSL/Internet/Phone but you can't access the internet. This applies for all the connected devices and wireless devices. I have to reset both the NBN modem thing and the Optus Sagecom modem to regain connection. I really shouldn't have to do this.

Additionally when theres about 3-4+ wireless devices on the network there seems to be internet stutters when I'm on youtube or playing games. I try and have the wireless devices on the two different bands but this doesn't help at all. Is it a problem with the modem? (I've heard there are many issues with it) I was on Telstra prior to this and their default modem was able to handle everything just fine. Is there anyone I can contact to gather logs? I contacted the Livechat but resetting the modem resolves the issue and I don't think they'd be much further help.

Re: NBN Disconnects/Lag

10000000000GB

Someone gave us a clue today, that NBN sets the line sync rate of the crappy modems too high, so they get dropouts. If you can set the sync rate down closer to what bandwidth you really get, then they are more reliable.

It's also normal to plug another router into them, to do the wifi properly.

nhathd

Would that be through the 192.168.0.1 page or a call to Optus? To get the sync rate down. 

[ Edited ]
10000000000GB

I think it has to be done by NBN. The  admin section of the modem shows the current line sync rate, so you should be able to see if it's a bit on the high side, relative to your benchmark data rate.

nhathd

Sorry if I'm a bit technological illiterate but I've been on the Sagemcom advanced settings and have not been able to find the sync rate anywhere. Would you be able to direct me to the thread where you read this information regarding the sync rate causing dropping issues. 

10000000000GB

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/Modem/m-p/298634#M8134

Second post on this thread.

Judging by some of the posts on this thread, the Sagemcom refers to the sync as "Attainable Rate".

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2479157

att-1.jpg

What I'm saying, is check whether there is a huge disparity between this attainable rate, and what you get on speedtest.net (during midnight hours)

It used to be that old dialup modems would screw up speed negotiation on bad rural lines, if you let them decide for themselves. So, you had to fix the max rate to 28K, so they wouldn't screw up. It could be that your line fluctuates so badly, the the speed negotiation fails, when the Sagemcom tries to reconnect.

nhathd

Man I must be super blind I cannot find the screen mentioning the sync rate like the one you linked anywhere. The closest thing I have is this.

Unless its this? But I highly doubt it.

image2

Apologies again for being technologically illiterate but I think the modem doesnt allow me to see anything like the SNR or MTU

10000000000GB

http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Sagem/Fast_3864v2/xDSL_Statistics.htm

It's in Device Info/Statistics/last entry

Trouble is, I don't know if this attainable rate was what the guy had modified by NBN.

nhathd

Yep. I'm blind, I actually did gloss over this page but ignored it because it was returning empty.

My modem is on and the internet is working. Is there anyway for it to show? I assumed because I was on NBN and not ADSL this was supposed to appear. And consequently now that I know that this IS supposed to be on I'm guessing the light for DSL not being on for the modem is a problem as is this, specifically the xDSL Synchronization

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos