cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN Disconnection

When will the copper lines in Mentone Parade, Mentone, Victoria be disconnected?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: NBN Disconnection

You can find that out on the nbn website and putting in your address and searching.
You need to select a street number so I chose number 44, which then gives you an option to get further address info:

Disconnection information

The disconnection process for the old phone and internet network in this area began on Sep 2019#

Note: Current Optus Cable customers may be given an earlier disconnection date. nbn recommends that you contact Optus for more details.
0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Add to that, COVID has delayed most of this, so you most likely wont get a firm date, but its been in progress since September last year.
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Note that the disconnection BEGAN about a year ago. That means the area has had NBN for over two years. This means your copper lines could be cut tomorrow without any further notice. Basically, you are (and have) been living on borrowed time.

I take it you are currently ADSL? At this stage I would suggest one of the following:

1) Contact Optus and request they move your account to HFC NBN. It will require a copper cable be connected from the overhead wires to your home (possibly it is already in place?)

or

2) Contact Aussie Broadband and request they connect you to HFC NBN.

The advantage of option 2 is that it is completely separate to your existing Optus ADSL (comes down a different wire into a different box). Doing this means you can get your new NBN all set up and confirmed before deciding what to do next.

ABB do month to month contracts so you only need use them to get onto the NBN. Once on the NBN its very quick to jump to any other RSP. Just call Optus up and tell them to take over your NBN if you want. Whatever you decide make sure you contact the RSPs you are no longer using and let them know to shut your account down.
0 Kudos