Searching...

NBN Disappointment

GlennD

I'm so very disappointed by Optus NBN, most of the day the download speed sits around 2 Mbps, I find myself reverting to 4G to stream something.

Is it possible to switch back to ADSL or would changing to Telstra help at all?

Postcode is 4670.

Re: NBN Disappointment

[ Edited ]
GlennD

I just performed a speed test, 0.5 Mbps download.

A friend of mine is having some delays with activating his NBN with Telstra & was asking if he should switch to Optus, I just told him not to bother.

Yeldarb

Yes I would be extremely disappointed in those results as well. I would be speaking with technical support before doing anything else. I don’t believe they will allow you to go back to adsl however the big T could be an option if all else fails.

Hollie

Hi GlennD

Were you able to chat with our tech team about this on 131344? Can you confirm when you're running speed tests this is with one computer connected directly to the modem via Ethernet with nothing else running in the background?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

GlennD

Hi Hollie,

It's been a few weeks, but I did speak to the tech team about, I have also walked into the Optus store in Bundy & the have admitted that it's due to congestion.

I was hoping that Optus would've fixed it by now, but it still gets quite slow.

Dwayne

I just got connected Thursday and my speeds average from around 8-14 Mbs but don't allow me to stream multimedia content, looks like you're not the only one Glenn! I working with tech support to see if something better can be provided.

StephenC

I got connected on the 8th of January to an NBN (FTTN)  to a boost pack plan in Post code 4670 (Kalkie). During the day I am averaging 4-10mbps down and 25mbps up, and late at night this increases to 25-30mbps down and 25mbps up. This is through a laptop conected via cable with the wifi turned off the modem so no other devices could be using the internet. this is poor as during ADSL2 i was averaged 18 - 20 mbps all day. All the tech can say is that it is due to conjestion with no timeframe as to when an upgrade to the server will be done. 

Aaron2

Im feeling your pain too, i payed for the 115$/month 100/40mbps connection and for the last 3 months ive had less than 15mbps and HIGH as a kite pings, im talking 150 - 300ms on a GOOD day. to a sydney server..

Not to mention, when you call up, they give some bull excuse of "planned upgrades" but no estimate time of doing it..

They might as well said, "We do not have upgrades" but i bet you ANY money, they do that to get away from the ACCC fire of hell, due to optus's CLEAR.. inability to serve out what they offer..

Not to mention that 50$ less, id get the same bloody speeds.. and probably get better ping times -.-

Im absolutely frustrated, not because speeds are slow, but due to the lack of care.. given, and being scammed.

Optus better pull their act together.. This is rediculous, Why hasnt optus been hit hard yet? Theyre obviously overloading their nodes so they can make as much money as possible, without checking to see that with everyone in hooked, they will not be able to serve their higher paying customers -.-

GlennD

Slow speeds every night & every weekend. I don't see Optus fixing this in the near future. My recommendation is switching to Telstra as I know for a fact that they don't have any congestion issues.

Dwayne

I hope Optus fix it, I'm in postcode 4670 (Thabeban) and getting about 8Mbs download at night and 18Mbs upload. I only get decent speeds between 4am - 8:30am in the morning (around 41 Mbs is the most I've logged). File downloads are relatively slow, it feels like the network lacks depth and as soon as you want to do something data intensive it drops away. I'm hearing from friends with Telstra similar issues, I just spent years with Telstra so not keen to go back unless it could be certain they didn't have similar congestion. Optus techos called me yesterday and said my area was suffering from congestion and they were planning upgrades but couldn't provide any timeframes, instead suggest I request a discount. While thats fair enough, I'm seeking the best network performance and theres no easy way to bench mark each retailer on this front. I get fetch TV in couple weeks and will update then, but the more Optus customers that notify their discontent, the more likely something will be done to rectify, I'll wait patiently.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
68 Kudos
24 Kudos
16 Kudos
11 Kudos
10 Kudos