Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor DaveClarke_66
Occasional Contributor

NBN Cancelling Contract but keeping EPL

I signed up to the NBN in September moving from Optus cable, now while my cable speeds weren't great they were liveable and since Optus purchased the rights to the English Premier League I decided to move with them to the NBN.

Since moving it has been a complete nightmare with continual dropouts, the service dropping out completely for up to a day at a time, promised call backs never eventuating and constant streaming issues even when only the one device is connected.

I have gone through the hell that is phone support where it can take anything up to 10 minutes going through all of the IVR options before you end up speaking to someone with such bad and heavily accented broken english that it is almost impossible to understand them. Each time I have gone through the pain of the usual troubleshooting where I switch everything off, switch it on again and pray to whatever internet gods exist in the ether but the connection is still crap. 

If you vary from the script in the support desk they have no idea of what to do, I think its because they do not have any technical knowledge at all, and never ask to speak to a manager as apparently these do not exist! in fact getting any technical help from Optus is about as rare as seeing a leprechaun riding a unicorn.

I am at the point now where I am seriously looking at cancelling my contract as Optus have not been able to supply my contracted service, however I do not want to lose access to watching the English Premier League (and being able to record matches I can't watch live).

Does anyone other than the usual Optus apologists on here have any suggestions or do I have to continue to bend over and take it from Optus until such time as their rights deal with the EPL end and I can move somewhere else.

I am sure that since September my mental health has suffered since dissapearing down this black hole that is Optus in trying to sort this mess out. I also can't see how it is illegal to switch me back to a service that works until such time as they make the NBN actually fit for service.

Personally I find it an international embarresment that this is the service of the future that we as a nation are supposed to live, work and play with going forward, you would get better speeds and service in a third world country.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN Cancelling Contract but keeping EPL

Can you subscribe to a $40 Optus mobile plan? 

That way you can get the EPL and choose another RSP.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Why would I want to do that? I have a perfectly acceptable deal with Vodafone for my mobile which gives me unlimited calls, texts and ample overseas calls along with a more than reasonable data allowance, plus I get coverage when down the South Coast which Optus never gave me.

Another thing is if I am that disappointed with Optus for my NBN to the point I want to leave then why would I contract another service to them?

so the answer to what I quite frankly think is a stupid question is no.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You asked for an option where you could leave Optus NBN and still keep the EPL.

Good luck with that attitude

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Nice work having a go at the first person who tried to help....

Really you have only a few options. Perservere with Optus and try and get the issue(s) resolved, leave and give up EPL, leave and find someone else who is an existing Optus customer who hasn't subscribed to the EPL and have them sign up and work something out between you or as Peter said look at an alternative service with Optus for the EPL. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Peter,

If you read my original post through I think you would see quite a bit of frustration with Optus and the way not only I, but judging by other threads on here a large swathe of customers, have been treated with NBN services.

To get to a point where I am looking at cancelling a contract I entered into in September of this year to try and get a service that works I think speaks volumes.

Consider also that if I already had an Optus mobile plan I wouldn’t be asking about ways to continue to watch the EPL.

Bearing all this in mind it would then seem fair to assume that I am quite content with my mobile phone provider, so why would I think of moving to an inferior service purely for EPL.

Apologies if you think my attitude stinks but take a minute to think about your first response based on the fact I have stated such frustration with Optus, and then tell me you may not have said something similar if not the same.

Optus deliberately hide behind an IVR that makes it near impossible to speak to a human and in the rare occasions you do it is someone offshore who flat out lie to you. The sooner they are hauled over the coals by the ACCC and either reformed or shutdown the better.

I will happily be sharing these views and my issues over my NBN connection with the shadow Communications minister Monday week when I have my meeting with her.

David

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

SamSam,

Whilst I agree my last sentence could have been phrased better I don’t think I really had a go at Peter.

Please read my original post & my subsequent response to him for context.

What I may have been better off saying is why would I reward Optus with yet more services when they can’t provide the service  I currently pay for.

This is a service that one moderator on here has already admitted is oversold and I need to wait till Optus decide to upgrade before I see any improvements.

After yesterdsys ACCC announcement regarding Telstra I am watching Optus carefully now.

As an aside if I get streaming issues at 2am when watching EPL via my Fetch TV and this is the only device accessing the internet at this time in my house why would a $40 mobile deal be any better? Also why would I want to watch sport on my mobile when I have a perfectly good TV to watch it on.

My service is so poor I often can’t even watch streaming content such as Netflix, Stan or Apple TV and for $80 a month I don’t think it unreasonable to be able to do so.

We, in this country, are sleepwalking into a point where customer service does not exist, it wouldn’t be excepted overseas why should it be accepted here?

Lets see Singtel treat their Asian customers the same and see what happens. As customers we should stop apologising for Optus and force them to up their game and provide the service we pay for.

David

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

It's really difficult to tell without actually having access to your home to troubleshoot but it sounds to me like you're having major problems with your modem rather than the connection as a whole. Can I ask:

1. What type of NBN do you have? FTTP/FTTN/FTTB/FTTC/HFC? 

2. How does the Fetch box connect to the modem? WiFi or ethernet? 

My thinking is that the modem is the weak point here as Optus don't supply the best equipment so it could potentially be a fast fix for you. 

Also, just as an FYI, if you have an EPL subscription via a mobile with Optus, that doesn't stop you from watching it on TV just the same as your current set up would stop you from watching it on your phone if you were away from the house. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

SamSam,

I have that wonderfully Frankenstein solution of HFC which I believe reuses the old PayTV cable infrastructure.

As for the modem, it is currently the Optus supplied one however I have now bridged it to my Linksys AC2600 router which made a minimal improvement. 

I don’t really want to keep buying kit that is overpriced here in Australia compared to overseas just to fix what rightfully is Optus’s problem.

Also the last point about being able to use a phone doesn’t I believe enable me to record matches & other programmes related to EPL, these are not always on catchup.

Another reason not to use the phone was the inability to watch any matches last year when on holiday in NZ as even though I was using my account it was geoblocked, couldn’t even watch via a VPN as they block those too.

cant understand not being able to access content I have paid for, seems sort of wrong to me.

David

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Ah right, if you've already bridged the modem that blows my theory/idea out of the water unfortunately. 

0 Kudos