Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

NBN Basic speed

Just wondering what I should expect as a download speed from my 12/1 NBN service. I recently had to move off my Home Wireless Broadband service as I needed a fixed line home phone due to someone in the house having hearing issues. I am in the Epping area in Melbourne and my Home Wireless Broadband service was giving me pretty close to 12 mb/s download speed just about all the time. I have speed tested my new NBN service (which I am told is fibre to the premises in my area ?? not sure about that though) and the best it has delivered so far is a bit under 8 mb/s. That seems pretty slow.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NBN Basic speed

Hi @SteveBen,  What technology is your connection?  At what time are you running these tests?  How are you testing the speed?  Are you using WiFi or direct connect to the device doing the testing?  How many other devices are connected to the service at the time of testing?  12/1 should be available everywhere - outside of peak times, you should be seeing good speeds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Am using wifi to connect the PC to the modem (dongle in the back of the PC) - I have tested at various times of the day and evening and 8 mb/s (actually just under) the best I can do - NO other active devices when I am doing the tests

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

using speedtest.net to do the testing

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus show their speed tiers here. You'll notice the Typical Peak speed for your plan is 7Mbps. So you're in the ball park.

FWIW the 12Mbps plans shouldn't really exist. They were included as a tier for people that basically wanted a phone plan. Essentially if you are at all concerned about speed (to any degree) then you've outgrown the 12Mbps Basic.

Its another $20 to go the next level up at Optus (25Mbps)

NB You can see what technology you have at the NBN Address Checker

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Just seems a bit odd that I was getting better performance on a Home Wireless Broadband Plan than I am using the NBN

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Oh and I do have Fibre To The Premises

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Not really, Your wireless speed was basically capped by the technology. You can get 12Mbps max. Your NBN connection (and you are among the lucky 20% of Australians to have FTTP) is capable of 1000Mbps. You've chosen the slowest possible option on the NBN. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @SteveBen,

If possible, try testing directly connected to the modem (via Ethernet).  There are some on this forum that cry foul about the behaviour of the WiFi from this modem, or even WiFi in general when used for speed testing.

When you tested using the Wireless BB, were you directly connected to its modem?  Was the modem located cloner than the NBNCo service.

I am just trying to narrow down the cause.