cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

NBN 5GHZ dissapear and connection keep dropping out

Hey there, 

I have paying $80 per mth for my NBN wifi home router.. 

The connection have been sucks since last couple of weeks, it kept dropping out. 

I tried to reset it (by holding the button at the back of the modem) , but i realised today that my 5GHZ connection (that supposed to be my faster connection dissapear) 

I have tried to tuen the router off and on but its still the same ..

I cant test the internet by plugging any cable into my laptop as both me and housemate is using the macbook at home...

Not sure what is happening.. 

But could someone pls advice if there are anyway to fix it .. 

Thanks, 

Allyssa 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: NBN 5GHZ dissapear and connection keep dropping out

Alyssa, if the network names are the same, then they aren't "disappearing". It just means your device is choosing the stronger signal. Bare in mind, 5Ghz WiFi does not reach long distances or through extremely thick/brick walls.

Are you using it a long distance away from the device? or?

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

As mentioned above by @Jeneral__Pain the ACV3 modem, combined the 2.4/5GHz bands together, some call it band steering. Another word, the modem will log you to the 5Gh when you are near and give you faster speed, once you are further away, the modem steer you to the 2.4GH for better range. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hey there,

Hmmm... I placed my modem in the living room where we used to keep. 

I have no problem connecting to the 5GHHZ all the time untill the begining of the month and I have moved it closer but it still doesnt appear on the wifi list. Pls advice.. 

Thanks, 

Allyssa

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@allyssa95 what is the model of your modem? Are you able to see any 5Ghz wifi at all at another location, eg at work or neighbour's network?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hey there, 

My modem model is the SEGEMCOM FAST 3864AC v3 modem. 

And yeap there are some other ppl that is using the same provider and NBN. I have seen other 5GHZ connection on the wifi list except for mine .. 

Regards, 

Allyssa

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@allyssa95 There are few settings in the advanced wifi that can affect the 5GHz not showing, OR could be a faulty modem. Please check with another device to see if the 5GHz wifi is visable. I did notice IOS devices took little longer for the 5GHz to show up (extra 5 seconds) compared with Android. 

Here are some options:

1. Check the advanced wifi settings

Login into the setup page via 192.168.0.1 username :optus password: wpa passphase printed under the modem

advanced settings, wireless, wl0 ...check it is the 5ghz check it is enabled, under advanced check wireless mode is "access Point".

2. Modem reset again

with the power only pluged in , Use a paper clip to push and hold the reset button on the modem for about 10 sec (until the light start to blink, release the paper clip and let the modem restart.

3. Contact Optus technical support, advised of the issue and inform them of what troubleshoting step you have done so far and go from there.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

HMM... 

Thanks for the reply ! 

I have tried to log into the admin page to check the advanced setting. 

I have tried 

Username: optus and my wifi username 

Password: my wifi password 

But I couldnt log into it after many attempt 😞 

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@allyssa95 for some reason, the system doesnt accept the password from an IOS device. Works fine with my PC, I think also worked with my Android. 

0 Kudos