Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

NBN 5GHZ Band Problem

Herad1

Hi,

So it has only been a day since we got NBN and I noticed as I was reading the connection method that it recommends connecting to the wireless netowork which is contains the same name except 5GHZ in the name aswell. I read this after realising connecting to the network without the 5ghz in the name, and believe I could be making much more out of the NBN on the other band. According to the sheet it does say that the 5ghz band connection has the same password as the one without it. My problem is I cannot connect to it even though the password is completely correct, and the connection strength is very strong. I am also 90% sure that my desktop can support the 5ghz connection, I am more of a PC hardware person so please correct me Smiley Happy.

Simply, why can I not connect to the network with 5ghz in the name

thanks.

Re: NBN 5GHZ Band Problem

kimandlee
short answer, give up. sorry, but those sagemcom routers are total garbage. we had the same one here, could not get 5ghz to work, well not right away. got it going somehow, then within 2 weeks, 5ghz option no longer even shows up in the firmware. its like optus disabled it. get yourself a decent router. sagemcom are cheap, and perform terribly, its another way for optus to rake in the dollars and give us crap in return

Jiefu

I cannot argue about the fact that they are a P.O.S, I have had one since thay were released new into OPTUS. Sad to say they are leaps ahad of the single band 2.4 version, sya a lot doesn't it. 

This issue was also present in mine and I found that I had to initially connect to the 2.4 freq for some reason, than after that I again tried the 5Ghz and it connected everytime there after. Might be worth a try. I also set it to auto connect on the 5Ghz only after it did connect.

There are any number of reasons you should investigate your wifi settings, security alone being the biggest. Change your SSID name, more Secure passwords, disable the WPS function and look at the frequency and transmission ranges you are working with.  My 2.4Ghz are all working at 300Mbps now and the 5Ghz are between 860 and 1100Mbps all the time dependant on range. I have the beamforming capability set to on in the 5Ghz so this may be the reason for the big variation.

Personally I hate being forced into this useless peice of equipment, but I have it tuned to a way now that I can accept it as satisfactory for my needs. I stream Netflix, Stan on multiple devices, free to air telivision from overseas all at the same time at speed pack two, 50 down 5 up I think.

Jeff

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!

Nam_L

Afternoon @Herad1,

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback. Since posting have you been able to connect to the 5Ghz connection to your Wi-Fi modem? If not, I'd see if you could remove the details that you currently have for the 2.4Ghz and then solely connect to the 5Ghz connection. Should this fail, I'd report the matter with our Technical Support team on 13 13 44 to look into the matter further.

Cheers,

Solution

Deboid

Just here tell my story of issues re 5ghz connection on Sagemcom F@ST 3864AC NBN.

Same issues . Could not re-connect but with good signal. 2.5ghz no problems. My cordless phone shows 5.8ghz so googled "wifi interference etc." Advice was to change channels in the modem. Went to wireless, Advanced, 5ghz and changed it from auto to  "36/80". This has solved all my issues and now connects immidiately on both Iphone and PC.

Cheers.

Jiefu

Some information for all who use the Sagemcom AC modem router. I will not deny that there are better units out there, I wish we could have them and still have full phone service as well, however it seems that this is an ongoing saga that continues without end.

I had the issue of not being able to access the 5Ghz mode despite the fact it was visible then invisible and so it went on. My solution in the end was to rename both wireless frequencies differently. An Example would be 2.4Ghz is named "Concept24" and 5Ghz is named "Deception5".  Then I set the band frequency I want the 2.4 on, this is done using a WiFi analyser on my smart phone. This checks for overlapping channels from the neighbors and ensuring you have minimum interference. Also set your 5Ghz frequency and look for the High and low bands. Do this in both until you are satisfied with your connection speeds. Enable beamforming technology in the 5Ghz settings and you shoould have a good run with it.

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!

hot_dots

I have had the exact same problem since Feb.  Optus sent out a new modem, still can't get 5ghz.  In the end I gave up.  But my question is this. If I spend some money on a good quality router will this enable me to get the 5ghz?

Thanks

Shauna

Hey @hot_dots - I would suggest reaching out to our Tech Support team to take a further look. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Jiefu

Probably a silly question, but is your OPTUS unit black or white...?   Yes, you could shell out a few dollars and get a very good unit that will give you what you want, but and I do mean BUT....is your incoming speed worth it. A quality unit that would be worth buying can be expensive and a cheap unit is not much better than what you already have. I wish I could just drop on over and have a look to help you out, but we're probably talking many packed lunches here LoL.

Have a good chat with Tech support, hopefully you will have a good one and understand them. Just ask them to go through this very slowly and make sure they have your Mob number to call you back on incase it has the inevitable drop out as they get to some crucial part in the talk through.  I always tell them my number at the beginning, to ensure I get the same tech for continuity of service fault finding etc.

Good luck

hot_dots

Thanks for the responses.  As for Tech Support, they are useless.  I spent tens of hours on the phone with them when the problem first occured back in Feb. They even upgraded it to the "super team", however, the most frequent thing I heard was "but that should work"!  Well it didn't.  They told me they would not let it drop until they had an answer, however, we are now in October and I haven't heard back from them since March.  Oh and they also sent a new modem which made no difference.

Optus have no idea why I can't get 5ghz, that is why I am thinking of investing my own money on a router to try and get it.

BTW, my modem is black.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
14 Kudos