cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor 11B
Occasional Contributor

NBN ... 4 months of torture

Hi all,

It took me around 4 months to get NBN in my house. NBN was and is available in my area (my next door neighbour has NBN provided by NBN).

The simple issue was, my address (subdivided land over a year ago) was recognised with Optus or NBN. But someone, both these companies managed to by pass the correct process and provided the NBN service to my neighbour. When it came to my turn, I MUST FOLLOW RULES.

Despite, doing the research and telling Optus they need to raise a request to have my address registered with NBN, Optus decided this is not Optus's responsibility but it was NBN. Having spoken to NBN, NBN reverted me back to Optus.  I even lodged a complaint with TIO and then a complaint's manager at Optus called me and told me (and in writing) that NBN must regiaster the address.  Despite NBN telling Optus directly (I was told this by Optus Complaints manager), Optus decided it was not their responsibility.

So, during this time of playing PIG in the middle, the workaround after a month of using my mobile as hotspot, Optus decided (only because I suggested it) to provide me with a dongle with 50gb. For someone who had unlimited data in a family of 4, I was seriously restricted in how we used our data.  

In the early 3 months, Optus booked in 3 NBN engineers which was a total waste. Gave me hopes each time and each time I took a day off from work. All went back because NBN port was not matching the residential address (seriously, how could it when Optus don't have my address on their system).  Still I hoped but let down again and again.

The end result was, Optus to raise a request with NBN so that they have my address registered and allocate a NBN port. Optus then put in a new service request which requires NBN engineer to come and do the stuff.  BTW - when the NBN engineer came, 1 hour work max.

So, after 4 months of pure stress and torture, 3 annual days leave wasted, hours on end on the mobile with Optus clowns who had no-clue what they were doing, limiting on how we use internet (priority school work ofcourse and limiting the use especially during school holidays...ahhh)....what does Optus say about this, NOTHING. Did Optus take any responsibility in this....NO.  Offered any compensation, NO. Internet is not regulated so TIO cannot do anything.  I complained to Energy heads....NO RESPONSE.  Yes, some gesture, goodwill, apology or something but nope, nothing. 

I am sure I am not the first to go through this issue but seriously, does anyone else think Optus should have been fined for this?  

Just feel so frustrated that a company can be allowed to mess around with people and walking away without even a scratch.  This just gives companies likes Optus the right to treat the customer anyway they like.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: NBN ... 4 months of torture

One of the best things about the NBN (once you have it) is that you can select any RSP you prefer to get access to high speed broadband. It does sound like you were the pig in the middle. 

FWIW It was NBNCos jub to get the connection up and running, but it was Optus job to manage that and ensure it was done (you normally would never contact NBN as they only sell wholesale). 

I would expect that Optus hasn't charged you for the internet during these four months?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor 11B
Occasional Contributor

My original request was for movign house.

I was charged for 3 months where I guess the internet was active at old address but no one using it.  Having raised concerns/issues, Optus decided to cancel the internet at the old house.

When I asked to be compensated (after eventually having NBN), they're reasoning was that the internet was still being provided via the dongle.  Now, Optus didn't care the first few weeks or for a month, we were using our mobile (the did compensate a bit when we kept using our mobile afterwards due to lack of GBs on the dongle).  After that, we were using the dongle which only had 50GBs but we had to be smart on how these GBs were utilised.  We've been using minimum 200GBs (I had unlimited package) but Optus didn't seem to care.

So, the question is, did they provided like-to-like service (even if it was through a diongle), NO. Did they charge me for unlimited data? Yes. Did I get unlimited data, NO.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well its a lot of things that went wrong. Some no doubt on your side but OPtus don't seem to have covered themselves in glory trying to address a bad situation. The dongle is IMO a good stop gap but I agree its nothing close to like for like. OPtus can't blame the NBN and say its their fault (even if it is). Your contract is with Optus, not the NBN and its up to them to provide the services promised to you. 

Leaving aside Optus contracts, there are also consumer rights that mean a service must be merchantable and match what has been promised. Optus would definitely owe a refund on any monthly fee less 50Gb/Unlimited Gb which is roughly $0. You could write a letter requesting a full refund for the months involved and "providing some access to the internet is not providing the service they promised". When they refuse that then you can move on to the TIO.

But the question is if you want to do all that? Its not a lot of actual work, but it will take months and it will keep the issue alive for you. The most you'll see is a few hundred dollars.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors