Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

My Fax no longer works after NBN install.

My original concern was not been able to stream and watch movies with my ADSL2 system.

The tech. that I spoke to said that I should connect to the NBN.

I stated that I had concerns about all of the NBN complaints.

The tech. assured me that I would not have any problems. 

1. I was not told that phone connections in bedroom, lounge room and dining room would no longer work after the NBN connection.

2. My HP fax machine no longer works, my fax is required for medical reports.

I have been a customer of OPTUS for 25 years and I am very disappointed with the OPTUS NBN.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: My Fax no longer works after NBN install.

Not good to hear 😞 Generally you would be advised at the time of sale that with NBN connections, additional sockets/phone lines would be ceased once your service is cut over. 

If you do require the additional lines to be migrated over onto the NBN network this will need to be arranged by a private technician. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: My Fax no longer works after NBN install.

Hi @DMJ

I have a quick fix that may help...

If your NBN connection is via FTTP, HFC, or Fixed Wireless, then:

1. find the main phone socket in your residence - this is where the copper comes in off the street that used to provide your phone and ADSL2 services
  2. Open the socket up and look for the main street cable - usually it is black and should be thicker than the other phone cable that is used to reticulate within your residence.
  3. Disconnect the wires belonging to the black cable, but don't push it back into the wall (you may need it in the future)
  4. Close the socket
  5. Attach a cable connecting between your NBN NTD or modem/router voice port and the wall phone socket - now you have your phone service throughout the resindence
  6. Ensure that you only have two (at most) devices connected to the phone socket - if you use a phone that is line powered (like the old Telstra phones) it will load your line down a lot more than the fax or a cordless phone base station.

If your NBN connection is via FTTN, FTTB or FTTc, then:

1. I assume that you NBN Modem is connected to your first telephone plug - that is, where the phone line off the street comes into the residence.  If this isn't the case, we can still make it work, but it get a little more complex.
  2. Open the socket and look for the main street cable - usually it is black and should be thicker than the other phone cable that is used to reticulate within your residence.
  3. Buy a double phone socket from an electrical wholesaler - the sockets at the hardware stores are okay to use, but the wholesaler has better quality.
  4. Disconnect the old socket but ensure the wires don't fall back into the wall (this is where you should be using a licenced technician...).
  5. Connect the street fibre to the bottom socket using the same port numbers on the old socket (the middle 2 usually - 2&3 in a 4-pin, 3&4 in the 6 pin).
  6. Connect the other cable (your residence internal phone cable) to the upper socket sing the same port numbers on the old socket (the middle 2 usually - 2&3 in a 4-pin, 3&4 in the 6 pin).
  7. Put the socket back into the wall and close the socket
  8. Attach the cable connecting between your NBN modem/router vthe bottom wall phone socket - your modem should be connected to the NBN
  9. Attach a cable connecting between your modem/router voice port and the uppor wall phone socket - now you have your phone service throughout the resindence
  10. Ensure that you only have two (at most) devices connected to the phone socket - if you use a phone that is line powered (like the old Telstra phones) it will load your line down a lot more than the fax or a cordless phone base station.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos