Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
crapnbn
New Contributor
New Contributor

Ms Teams poor performance during desktop sharing on NBN plan

I am having poor performance when sharing desktop and my side video on NBN 100/40 plan; however, I can see others presentations,  desktop sharings and videos. Exactly same happened to one of my colleague who was an Optus NBN user, he to switched to another provider - now he is having no issue at all.

What I am doing for my presentations on Ms Teams (desktop sharing) now is - I switch to a Telstra 4G and it works perfectly on the "same laptop". During the time I run presentations on Ms Team - my NBN bandwidth test results show 96-99/37-39 Mbps (download/upload) almost all the time. I run Ms Teams on a Windows 10 Pro.

I am 100% confident it is not an issue of Ms Teams version or system settings in Ms Teams or Windows Updates. If this is an issue of MS Teams - then it wouldn't have run perfectly using a Telstra 4G or from my office network which is TPG (note - same laptop). I found Ms Teams running on MacBook Pro working ok - MacOS use superior video compression technology (OpenGL) compared to what Microsoft use (DirectX); this is not a question of OpenGL vs DirectX but this is surely related to Optus NBN Internet network which performs unsatisfactory for Ms Teams on Windows OS. 

There must be some issues withtin Optus Internet for NBN; this could be related to network caching, route peering with MS Azure/Microsoft, sub-optimal routing to MS Azure or some QoS throttling to MS Azure (note: I am a network architect by profession).

Could you guys please do investigation on this and fix it.

Cheers/Jami

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Kartika

Re: Ms Teams poor performance during desktop sharing on NBN plan

Thanks for reaching out @crapnbn. We understand you are having issues with Microsoft Teams on our NBN connection. However we can`t control or restrict specific 3rd party applications / software's on our internet connection. Also NBN is not our network, we are just a service provider. If there was an issue with the Optus NBN connection or network then the internet won`t work at all. We can assist customers having connection issues like dropouts, slow speeds etc. 

Many of our staff members are working from home at the moment using Microsoft teams, all having Optus NBN at home and our Microsoft teams is working fine in all our devices. There is no reported fault at the moment.

Have you tested Microsoft teams on another device (mobile or tablet) via the Optus NBN connection to confirm if the issue replicates?

We would also recommend to double check your Optus modem settings for permissions or website settings. To login into the modem settings use the IP Address listed on the bottom of the modem itself in a browser. Login username / password are also listed there.

If the issue still continues then you are best to speak with our Technical Support team via the → messaging service to assist you further. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Ms Teams poor performance during desktop sharing on NBN plan

"Could you guys please do investigation on this and fix it."

Optus response to this problem is that there is no problem. If you search around various forums you'll find that its a fairly widespread issue and it appears to only affect a couple of RSPs - Optus being one. Telstra another.

There's been a lot of user efforts to try pin down the exact cause. I personally spent days reconfiguring and testing and bypassing and reinstalling and replacing etc. However its not affecting every Optus user so Optus won't look into it.

One main theory is the way the RSP throttles your NBN line. Ironically it may be that really good NBN services are the ones that suffer the worst. Optus has its own method of stopping your upload speed exceeding 40Mbps. It seems that if you do go above this speed then Optus just stops delivering data and this is seen as dropped packets - affecting Teams badly but not your speed test.

One possible solution is to use the QOS menu on your modem to set the manual max upload speed to say 35Mbps (if possible). See if that fixes the problem.

Other than that there has been seemingly universal success resolving this issue by switching RSPs. It certainly fixed mine immediately and permanently. So Optus may believe they're not the cause but it is their problem.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors