Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Moving to NBN

Have just received email from NBN Co who state - and I quote "You will have 18 months to move your services to the new network...". They specifically give the date my property will be disconnected as 12 October 2018.

So Optus is pushing their own agenda regardless of what NBN Co says; regardless of what the ACCC says.

I know what @petergdownload says about them continuing to provide services to an area when it is available for NBN, but only today, weeks after my property was NBN enabled, the guy was back doing a neighbour who I know is on Optus. So the whole area is not NBN read at all. And he tells me the street is not even half done yet.  Presuming to count down the 70 days (they have reduced it from 90 per my conversation with them today) per property when the clearly have to continue providing existing service to an area until all properties are ready is both unnecessary and wrong. They also confirmed in writing that they - Optus - do not disconnect services, NBN Co does, so given NBN Co's email, I fail to see what ground Optus stands on when an area is not fully rady for NBN anyway.

And as advised by a Telstra technician woking on NBN today when I did his tax return, it is cable users who will suffer under NBN. Optus confirmed - in writing - today that base speed for cable is 30mbps whilst base speed for NBN is only 12mbps. So we cable users will not enjoy the same speeds unless we pay big for a fancier plan - and still with no guarantees given; it's all "up to" speeds. All the talk of "superfast" internet is from the perspective of ADSL users.

Moderator Aman_B

Hi @1Ryan, have you checked here → http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-broadband/plans?SID=con:bhomeb:3up:1:jul17:fixed:nbnplan... is your address is NBN ready? I's also recommend to check this with our 1300300427. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor SparksBudd
New Contributor

DON'T DO IT - IT IS RUBBISH! I was advised to change over at the start of July. I wish I had never agreed. Changed on July 16. It was great for maximum a week and since then my internet (when it is working) is incredibly slow. It drops out all of the time - in fact I can't believe it's currently allowing me to access this site. I work from home 2 days a week but I haven't been able to due to crap service, my kids can't complete half their homework as everything just keeps dropping or timing out. Have lost count of the number of times I've called Optus, and the number of times they promise to call back and don't. Every time I speak to someone it is of course a different person and they all apologise and then proceed to say how shocked they are at the number of times my service is dropping out, blah blah blah. They have apparently made another report to NBN and will get back to me on Monday.... I'm not holding my breath. To top it off my latest bill is almost $30 more than all previous ones - no idea why as I was guaranteed there were no extra costs. Anyway I won't be paying that - why would you pay for a service you don't actually receive.....After about 12 years with Optus I will give it to next week and then move to a different provider. Disgraceful.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Khun_Tilt

There are two different issues people are commenting on here - When,if,how you need to move to the NBN and what the experience will be like after you do (also whether the new deals and speeds are ok). I'm not commenting on the second here. Just the first.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'got it in writting'? If you're refering to saves of online chat sessions they don't really count for much. As you've found the information you get can be very variable. Optus will be switching off your entire suburb in one hit - it is not possible for them to let you keep going with some special dispensation (nor do they want to if they could).

As I said earlier, Optus service often tries to shift the blame for this disconection onto the NBN, telling angry customers that unfortunately there's nothing Optus can do its the NBN. There are two cut off dates inplay:

1. 18 months after the NBN goes live (every household gets this). This is a hard date and NBNCo will cut households off any old connection if they don't move by then.

2. 3 months after the NBN goes live. This is Optus deadline. NBNCo is infact still providing the old Optus cable for use. Optus however will just switch off its equipment at the junctions. The cable will sit there but Optus just won't use it.

I understand the issue makes work difficult (although I can't find any ATO requirement to certify hardware for returns, software yes but not modems. We are talking about ELS?) I would suggest setting up a backup system for the internet. Probably using mobile data (set up as a wifi hotspot). You can get Gbs if your transition to the NBN has issues you can still continue (assuming the hardware certification doesn't get in the way.

I wish you luck with the move. Yes its a hassle and yes its exactly like cases like yours that NBNCo gives 18 months to switch and why the Optus move is really poor treatment of their customers.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@1Ryan

You're correct that once NBN goes live no ISP can connect you up to the old network (even though other users are still using it). Its stay where you are or goto the NBN. This has resulted (inadvertantly) in some households signing up to the NBN in their area and then being told there is an issue with the NBN connection that will take some months to resolve. So they say that's ok we'll just connect back to what we had while we wait. And the telcos all say they're not allowed to do that cause your area has NBN!

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Khun_Tilt

As for the rest of the street not being ready that may or may not be the case. NBNCo are currently hooking up ~ 30,000 households per week around Australia. NBN Ready means the cable in the street is all hooked up. NBN won't actually string wires from the new cable to homes until an actual order is made. So perhaps your neighbour has jumped already?

You haven't mentioned what NBN tech you are moving to have you? The Optus cable is being torn down so you will either move on to the Telstra (previous owners) HFC cable or maybe you're lucky enough to be getting fiber to the curb? Can you confirm which?

As to the 'super speeds' being mainly for ADSL users you are exactly correct. Cable users have had access to good quality broadband for years now (with Optus being very affordable IMO). But the NBN is about spreading that speed further. Ultimately everyone (including old cable users) should benefit a lot and prices will innevitably drop further (or more likely you'll be able to get more speed for the same $$). One big benefit already is upload speeds. They've been lock by Optus at 1.4 Mbps till now. Now we can get 5-40 Mbps upload.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Contributor sigh_optus
Contributor

Following this.  

Staying with ADSL2 by iiNet looks better and better.  (Maybe TGP is cheaper ?)

Aside - IF ( big IF ) I understand P. Gillespie's candid text -

There are two cut off dates in play:

1.   18 months after the NBN goes live (every household gets this).

This is a hard date and NBNCo will cut households off any old connection if they don't move by then.

2.   3 months after the NBN goes live.

This is Optus's deadline. NBNCo is in fact still providing the old Optus cable for use. 

Optus however will just switch off its equipment at the junctions.

The cable will sit there but Optus just won't use it.

Then if I was with Optus, I would go elsewhere (other than Telstra, on past experiences), for NBN before Optus did that.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @sigh_optus

One of the great things about the NBN is most people now have choice. Before if you wanted cable speeds you had only two options (if you were lucky). When the NBN arrives in your areayou can choose any supplier to give you the speeds you want.

Note that current Optus HFC customers are the only people that face the 3 month (after NBN goes live in your suburb) deadline. Anyone else will have the 18 month deadline to find a new NBN plan.

In fairness to Optus, they need to keep powering and running the entire HFC network in your suburb if only a single person is still using it. Optus didn't want a situation where most of the suburb had gone to the NBN and they were paying $$$ each month to keep the HFC runnning for just a few slow customers.

Where Optus did stuff up IMO was how they approached this. Generally pretty heavy sales pressure was bought on their own customers. Optus often told people

1. You have three months before its turned off. (true)

2. Its happening because of the NBN (half true)

3. You must sign a new contract with Optus (untrue)

Note its also important to know that once the NBN goes live in your area you will not be able to switch to any other 'old' technology. You can stay with what you have (until its turned off) or you can pick any NBN ISP (including Optus). 

When the time comes (and NBN say your areas is now RFS - Ready For Service) you will have a few months to decide. Easiest option is just ask Optus to sign you across. However as optus are shutting down their network then you are also free to exit any contract and go elsewhere (they can't force you to sign a new contract).

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

Contributor sigh_optus
Contributor

Thanks, Peter G, very kind of you to add further advice - much appreciated.  All the best. John 

(Was your PM to "Charlie" intended for another, perhaps ?)

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yep, hazard of cut and pasting another PM. Realised just after I hit send. 

Hoped you might think it was some sort of generic endearment (My Dad used to call me Charlie Brown Smiley Happy)

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie