Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
architxt
New Contributor
New Contributor

Moving to NBN and losing a discount

A couple of months ago I got a SIM only plan for my phone that entitled me to a $20 dollar discount on my cable bill.

Now I am told that the discount is not available when I move to the NBN plan, which, I'm told, I can't avoid.

Give I don't trust what I'm told half the times, is this actually correct ?

If so, why wasn't I told about this scenario when I first signed up - I discussed this specifically with staff at store.

Thanks,

Lawrence

0 Kudos
3 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Moving to NBN and losing a discount

As you say, difficult to find people to trust.

Your current understanding sounds correct. Moving to the NBN is essentially cancelling your existing contract and resigning a new one. The discount presumably applied to exisiting contracts (possibly even existing NBN contracts) at the time but now the offer is no longer available, so when you start a new contract it won't have that discount option.

That said, you should definitely push for it to come across if you go with Optus NBN. If Optus won't apply the discount then a letter to the TIO stating your case might work.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

architxt
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks Peter.

I spoke to several folk over the phone two days ago and was eventually told what you detailed.

I'll go back to the shop and ask again there.

A question - who is TIO?

Thanks,

Lawrence

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Sorry to hear Lawrence.

Unfortunately the store is unlikely to offer much help. They aren't actually Optus Stores, they franchises that sell Optus products and services. They most likely ask you to contact Optus direct to handle issues.

That said the store is responsible for its representations. Technically the $20 offer has been correctly applied and that's all they're really responsible for. However the fact that it is in contract would mean that its reasonable to believe that any discount offer would last while your were a customer with Optus. The discount should stand. Hoever in practice if Optus agree they tend to just let you out of a contract rather than mess with plans.

The TIO is the Telecomunication Industry Ombudsman. They are generally on your side and will look into the matter for you with Optus (A please explain notice etc). They have the power to order Optus to make ammends. You'd first need to make an official complaint with Optus (write them a letter, give them 10 days and then forward the letter to the TIO)

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors