cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor AbeS
Occasional Contributor

Moving from Telstra NBN connection to Optus NBN connection - still no internet

Guys

I have transferred from Telstra to Optus for NBN and have been given the absolute runaround by plenty of your Activation and pre-Activation team for NBN.

I already have installed the self install kit, and I was told within 24 hours the service for the NBN broadband would change over from Telstra to Optus from a seemingly knowledgable member of the Activations team this morning. Telstra has ok'd the phone number to be ported (I am migrating the number and NBN internet service over to Optus) and as per the first lady who seemed to know what she was doing, she said all that was needed was Optus to liaise with NBN to get the service decommissioned from Telstra and activated onto Optus. She mentioned that I would notice a stop to the Telstra internet service, which happened this evening, and then maximum one hour later the internet connection would be back on with Optus. This did not happen, which now means I am without an internet connection.

I logged into the Sagemcom modem and could see that the WAN link has 0 bytes upstream and downstream since when the internet stopped working for numerous hours. So, I called Optus again, and my woes started.

I am now being by this support person that I need to go and disconnect my old Telstra service myself and then call up Optus Activations, and then they will send me across the self serve install kit - which I already have explained on the phone multiple times I've already done. The current person does not seem willing at all to help me and just keeps putting me on hold for over 20 minutes each time, coming back to say "keep holding" and then again back on hold. Update: He eventually said he could not do anything and told me to call back tomorrow, and casually mentioned "there is no way you will have your internet working tomorrow". I have his details for escalation if required.

I am quite worried that the service will not be up and running via Optus in a timely manner (active tomorrow). I depend on this service not just for home use but also for work. I need this rectified ASAP, it's a simple port out from Telstra NBN to Optus NBN, I've been through this previously with another ISP and it was sorted within hours. I am shocked to see in some cases on this forum that people have been waiting for days, weeks and months. 

I will lodge a case with TIO tomorrow if I cannot get the service working. If Optus cannot move me from Telstra NBN to their own service painlessly and within the timeframe I was told at time of purchase and at first support call into Activations team - then I want to cancel the service without penalty. I signed onto a 24 month term for $80pm in good faith that your sales staff and activations team would honour their promises, so far this hasn't happened.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Occasional Contributor Scholesy
Occasional Contributor

Re: Moving from Telstra NBN connection to Optus NBN connection - still no internet

Just churned from Skymesh to Optus myself, received the installation kit and booted up the modem but still have an active Skymesh service.

Called Optus to be informed my service should be active;  but later agreed a ticket needed to go in with NBNCo as it was stuck in the system.

Check back in 48 hours.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Re: Moving from Telstra NBN connection to Optus NBN connection - still no internet

I’d like to understand what’s holding the service activation up though. I lost my internet connection with Telstra yesterday meaning that something has progressed. It’s an NBN service on the same speed tier being churned from Telstra to Optus. That’s it! Still no internet, after Optus sales and service activations (initially) promised me that this would be sorted without a significant outage. 

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

As much as it seems like this is all Optus (and I'm not saying it's not), NBN have been pretty terrible as well. Chances are it's stuck on the NBN side of things and Optus don't actually have a complete answer as to the problem. They lodge a ticket, it goes into a queue over at NBN, NBN get around to it and then take their time getting back to Optus to say it's done.

Soudns crazy but that's how a lot of things are working at the moment and unfortuantely reversing it could cause more pain for you. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks mate. I see you’re quite active on here and not even an Optus employee, good on you for that. 

Basically I’m now in a contract with Optus where they will be taking payment every month for a service. If this service isn’t working I need Optus to chase this up for me, and not give me the runaround or make flippant statements. What NBN does or doesn’t do is fine, but really if Optus put their hand up and wanted to serve me as a customer, they should be fighting for me now just like they fought when they wanted my dollars. 

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Oh yeah I totally get where you're coming from. At the end of the day Optus are your provider, not NBN. Just trying to add some context. 

Also, just in case you want to get out, don't think you're stuck either. I know I said it could make it worse but you could always tell them to cancel it all and go with someone else. 

Either way, I hope it works out for you

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Any idea how to get a moderator to pay some attention to this? 

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Because I'm a regular, I can escalate the topic which I've just done. They've been a little slow of late so I'm guessing their work load is high at the moment but hopefully someone gets to you soon

Occasional Contributor

Hi SamSam I don’t know if it was you, but I rang Optus back tonight and they have managed to get the service to work!

I’m so happy I didn’t have to wait weeks. 

Thank you for all of your help and advice mate!!! I really appreciate it! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Definitely wasn't me, just a coincidence. But happy either way Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Top Contributors