Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Modem problem

ra1962

We organised last week to get connected to the NBN - the technician came out and set up the box and then told me to contact OPTUS to see if our modem was compatible. I then ring Optus who tell me we should  have received a new modem- but when they check it is still at the warehouse waiting for a manual??????? What???? I was NEVER told that we would need a new modem. And Why didn’t the NBN guy check if our current modem is compatible? The Optus person Sri’s our modem is not compatible but I spoke to technical support as well today at Optus they said they thought our Netgear CM500V-1STAUS should be compatible but when we tried it there was no internet connection. I have the day off work today - what a waste of time. I feel as if talking to offshore call centres just makes the situation worse . I really want to talk to someone here in Australia but I am told I can’t be connected. I think that the only recourse I have is to go to the Telecommunications Ombudsman, 

Connection and sales staff

ra1962

We organised last week to get connected to the NBN - the technician came out and set up the box and then told me to contact OPTUS to see if our modem was compatible. I then ring Optus who tell me we should  have received a new modem- but when they check it is still at the warehouse waiting for a manual??????? What???? I was NEVER told that we would need a new modem. And Why didn’t the NBN guy check if our current modem is compatible? The Optus person Sri’s our modem is not compatible but I spoke to technical support as well today at Optus they said they thought our Netgear CM500V-1STAUS should be compatible but when we tried it there was no internet connection. I have the day off work today - what a waste of time. I feel as if talking to offshore call centres just makes the situation worse . I really want to talk to someone here in Australia but I am told I can’t be connected. I think that the only recourse I have is to go to the Telecommunications Ombudsman, 

ra1962

Re: Nbn

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

If you are happy for a 2-4 month delay while the ombudsman looks into the case then sure I suppose.

Otherwise, it should only take a day or two for Optus to send out the new modem. 

The old modem should be compatible so long as it has a seperate coloured WAN port to plug the cable from the NBN 

FWIW the hard setup bit should be done now. You should be able to get the NBN modem setup from here easily enough.

What NBN technology do you have FTTN? HFC?

PS You only need to post once. Multiple identical threads just leads to confusion.

Peter Gillespie

Re: Connection and sales staff

AlistarS

Hi @ra1962, please try & stick to the one thread. It just makes it a little more difficult for the mods to monitor the forum.

The CM500V is strictly for Optus Cable services only. The Sagemcom F@st 3865, which you'll have been bridging with the Neatgear modem is the "NBN ready" modem. Over the course of the last few years, we've been giving out customers NBN ready modems in preparation for the NBN roll-out. 

Which NBN technology is being used to service your area? If you're unsure, simply pop your address into our Broadband checker. Depending on the technology type, a new compatible modem might be required. 

Let us know and we'll try and help out. 

Solution

Re: Modem problem

Jeneral__Pain

The Netgear CM500v IS NOT compatible with NBN, it will only operate on the Optus HFC network which is being closed down.

If you choose to ignore the Optus complaints handling policy and go straight to the TIO. You need to be aware that there is no "immediate drop everything" response to you. The TIO is sadly full of complaints from people who aren't getting what they want straight away, so it's slowing things down. 

What NBN tech will your service be supplied on?

FTTP, FTTN, FTTC, FTTB, FW or HFC?

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

Jeneral__Pain

I've responded to your duplicate post.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/Modem-problem/m-p/574980/highlight/false#M16888

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

ra1962

Thanks so much to everyone who replied! All sorted now! 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
37 Kudos
30 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos