cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Modem locked to Optus?

I want to shift to another provider for NBN. Can I keep using my Optus ADSL wifi modem or is it locked?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Modem locked to Optus?

Hi @Kco21, thanks for reaching out to us here.

Generally, Optus modem wont work with a different provider but you can certainly check with them as the new service provider will be the bets to answer this. 

If you would be coming to Optus, then some modems  not supplied by Optus can work but there is very limited support we can offer for these. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Kco21Search the yescrowd to see what people have said about the modem. Your search needs to include the modem model, on the label under the modem. If this does not work try searching whirlpool or google.

One issue you may find is that Optus have requested firmware that has features disabled be put in the modem and the firmware cannot be changed to the generic (global) version with the feature enabled.

The other thing to consider is that NBN does not support ADSL, unless there are NO other options.  I would check you have an ADSL modem and if you do then check you are on ADSL and also check your address via the NBN web site if you can get NBN as something is not adding up.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Optus router are semi-locked and the locked functionality cannot be unlocked.

• The phone ports are locked.
  • Internet through the WAN port is unlocked and it should work with many/most(?) ISPs. WAN configuration is limited (particularly the inability to set a VLAN number) which is why it will not work with all ISP.
  • I can't see any configuration options for the DSL port (they may show up if something is actually plugged into that port), so unlikely to be usable for ADSL/NBN FTTN / NBN FTTB .
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. The new provider has referred me to Optus to check whether the modem is locked or transportable. Who at Optus can answer this question? It should be a very simple one. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Kco21 wrote:

Who at Optus can answer this question? It should be a very simple one. 

That answer from Optus will be that they only support Optus and can't/won't say if it will work with any other provider.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. I tried searching with modem name here but no luck. Will try whirlpool or Google but TBH Optus should easily be able to share that info. 
I've confirmed I'm able to get NBN thank you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Kco21 wrote:

TBH Optus should easily be able to share that info. 

I've already supplied some of the key comparability info in my first post above which you seem be to ignoring.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @Kco21, Optus modems are not locked. 

Please note you are best to speak with our Technical Support team via the messaging service to assist you further. 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the info. Not ignoring it, didn’t see it til now.
0 Kudos