Searching...

Modem Router or Router

AdrianTeo

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and been browsing through for a solution for my nbn connection. First of all, I am a newbie in this so please bear with me. I understand that what I am going to ask is pretty much discussed extensively but I'm getting confused so forgive me if this sounds stupid.

I am on Optus NBN $80 plan with the supplied Sagemcom modem/router. Not using the phone at all. My connection is FTTP.

I have been experiencing constant drop out in my phone or smart TV, which were connected through WIFI. I believe the problem is Sagemcom and I would like to ask for an opinion on how to fix this.

Question:

1) Should I purchase a modem router and replace the Sagemcom?

2)If so, what is the best option for my situation?

3)With the recommended modem router, can I just plug it into the port like how I plug the Sagemcom modem router supplied?

4)Will there be any settings required or just plug and play?

OR

1) Should I buy a router instead?

2) what would be a good suggestion for router?

3) Can I just plug it into the port behind my current Sagemcom modem router?

4)Do I need to configure anything or just plug and play?

Thanks alot for the help. My apology if this sounds like dumb questions. 

Re: Modem Router or Router

Toomey

Before going down this route, I would advise some further testing to ensure there aren't any issues with your NBN line, otherwise drop outs could continue regardless of your equipment.

What these drop outs occur, do you notice if any lights on the modem change? This will identify if it's a line issue or WiFi issue.

Do you have any devices that you could connect via ethernet? If they stay connected while a WiFi device drops out, this would indicate a WiFi issue but the NBN line is fine.

If you were to raise an investigation with Optus, the first thing they'll try is to replace your current modem. If this hasn't already been done, feel free to send me a private message with your account number, full name and DOB so we can review your options.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

RobPergo

Hi there

I’ve been having constant wifi drop outs since switching to nbn on a new sagemcom modem. I’ve been on technical chat several times but haven’t received any real solution. Optus even sent me out another modem but having same issue so I just switched back to the first modem.  I’ve tried changing the wifi channel, asssigning static ips, but nothing seems to be fixing the issue. On chat tonight and was told to contact sagemcom direct but I doubt that’s going to achieve anything. I’ve purchased a range extender thinking it might a range issue but still no resolution.

what do you think my next step should be?

AlexRH

Hey @RobPergo, understand that this would be pretty frustrating.

We're limited in what troubleshooting can be completed for WiFi issues, it sounds like you've been through all of the steps yourself prior to this point.

Unfortunately, WiFi can be impacted by a number of factors like interference so it may not be something we're able to resolve.

Are you having drop out issues over an ethernet connection at all? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

RobPergo

I don’t believe so. I have a computer connected by Ethernet and doesn’t seem to drop out. The problem I have is that I might be connected on my iPhone or iPad but others in my household (kids) can’t change connect with a mssg that reads “No Internet Connection”. 

I had a netgear modem prior with my Optus adsl broadband account and hardly ever had issues. I often have to keep restarting the current modem and not even that works all the time.  

Any suggestions?

RobPergo

@AlexRH I was checking the Stats under LAN in the modem and it shows 'Drops" in the wl0 (62) and wl1 (151). I don't know what this means but are these the disconnections? 

Toomey

How many devices total would you say are trying to connect?

We can check your line from our end for any drops. Please feel free to send me a private message with the below details so I can look into this for you.

Account Number:
Full Name:
DOB:
Are You The Primary Account Holder:

RobPergo

@Toomey I sent you a private message. We have a few devices in our household but not actively on them all the time.

I'm hoping that isn't an issue - especially in this day and age as everything seems to be wifi connected.

Regards

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
101 Kudos
63 Kudos
26 Kudos
25 Kudos
18 Kudos