cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Modem Inbuilt twonky server port fowarding

I wish to know how to port forward the modems inbuilt twonky server (ps I know how to set up port forwarding as I have a couple of game servers setup) port forwarding won't accept the router/modems address
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Modem Inbuilt twonky server port fowarding

The reason is that it make no logical sense to do that. The point of port forwarding is to allow internet traffic (i.e. anything coming from the WAN port) to bypass the router and get processed by another device on the LAN.

The twonky service (i.e. DLNA) is running on your router and is therefore already on your LAN. Its not coming from WAN so there is nothing that can be forwarded.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sorry I wasn't clear on what I wanted to achieve ...... I'm sorry about that but the reason I was asking is I want to be able to access the twonky server from outside of my home network e.g. I want to watch a video on holiday somewhere without having to lug portable hdds everywhere.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I see.

DLNA is not designed to be used over the internet, just LAN. I suspect the reason is won't allow you to forward to the routers IP is that that router should already be listening to all the ports it needs to, and therefore it will not know how to handle DLNA data from the WAN side (or any other forwarded ports).

It is possible to get DLNA over the internet but your will need either a VPN or special media software.