Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
acorn78
New Contributor
New Contributor

Migrating from 100/2 cable to NBN

Hi there, I've recently received a letter advising that my current cable connection will be cut off within the month.  I'm currently on a 100/2 cable connection with FetchTV included that I'm very happy with. I've read a number of posts where optus customers in similar situations have been offered to migrate and maintain their current plan.  I'd really love to do this and would apprecaite if an optus rep is able to help me out as my conversations with optus phone support and live chat haven't been that helpful.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jeneral__Pain
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Migrating from 100/2 cable to NBN

Your best bet is to speak to Optus sales via phone or chat to arrange the change over. All the reps here can do is pretty much ask Sales to call you back to discuss your request.

Your current plan may not be salvageable because if it's quite old (my parents one was extremely old), it would have forced them to completely refresh their plan and it wasn't in their interests.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
acorn78
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the tip.  I'll try the phone sales team again and see if I have better luck - so far it hasn't been that great.  I have read a couple posts of customers on a similar plan being offered the same plan when migrating over.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its unlikely you will be able migrate on your current plan. However your essential internet experience is likely to remain the same despite that. Optus will be cancelling you existing contract so you have the choice of resigning another contract (with new NBN terms) with Optus or picking any other RSP. Obviously continuing with your existing RSP can be the simplest option. 

Based on your requirements, your new plan with Optus will cost $90 a month. I'm not sure how this will compare to your current plan but it includes all landline calls and unlimited internet and a Fetch box. In general all NBN connections cost $10-$20 more than most previous plans (to pay for building it).

The main difference in your plan will likely be a top speed of 50Mbps. If you want to retain 100Mbps then you will need to pay another $20 per month. FWIW its very likely you won't need (or notice) 100Mbps so I'd suggest starting with the standard 50Mbps (with 20Mbps upload speed) and see if you want to add the extra later.

Unfortunately negotiation is somewhat limited (on the plus side you can now choose from any plan and any RSP so you have much more freedom to potentially find a price and service that matches what you want). If negotiating I would suggest you use LIVECHAT. Note that sales staff are occassionally a little too generous in what they offer to seal a deal. Optus generally doesn't provide any records indicating what deal you might have aggreed to and you may find, if for example you were offered a free 100Mbps speed pack, that this doesn't eventuate after the install (Sorry sir/maam, you shouldn't have been told that). Do copy and paste the entire LIVECHAT discussion before the chat ends.

Good Luck and welcome to the NBN

Peter Gillespie

PS Customers getting the "same" plan were likely on Optus 30Mbps cable plans.

PPS Do you care about a landline?

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Just a note you'd better get your self sorted fast. What NBN technology are you getting (HFC? FTTC?) - check at the NBN address checker. NBN defintely won't be using the Optus cable. Connection appointments are running over a month so it is likely you will already have some down time if Optus do shut your line down soon)

Peter Gillespie

acorn78
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for the replies guys, much apprecaited.

I've booked in my service with Optus and the technician is booked for 18th April - hopefully this is maintained.  Unfortunately I'm receiving FTTN so I'm not holding my breath on what I receive - we were supposed to receive FTTC according to the NBN address checker but this obviously changed at some point.  I was one of the lucky ones with Optus cable and had nothing but great speeds at all times of the day, I'm hoping to have the same download with a nice bump in upload speed but as mentioned I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for the tip on keeping notes with the promised deals as I was offered a few deals from the retentions team.

Fingers crossed that all goes well.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors