Searching...
Highlighted

Lightning fried my Sagemcom 3864AC. The story so far.

gasman

I thought I would share my Optus internet experience. Any advice or assistance, especially about the ongoing drop-outs, much appreciated.

Tuesday 9/1/18

8:30 pm - Big lightning strike nearby and internet stops working, Modem power light, WiFi light on, DSL light blinking.

10:30 pm – No change, Still no internet.

10:30 pm - Call Optus tech support (131344), 45 mins no answer, hang up.

11:30 pm  - Call Optus tech support, 50 mins no answer, hang up.

Wednesday

7:00 am - Call Optus tech support, get through in 15 mins, NBN Tech booked for Thursday 1-5 pm.

Find out several other neighbours in the street also have lost NBN service.

Thursday

11:00 am - NBN Tech 1 arrives to check a neighbour’s line but offers to check mine too, result modem fried.

11:30 am - Call Optus tech support, 80 mins no answer, hang up.

Go to the local Optus shop, they were very helpful, Tech support called but not sure if a modem was ordered, no confirmation.

15:00 pm - NBN Tech 2 arrives but to check my line, result modem fried.

15:30 pm - Call Optus tech support, get through in 30 mins, explain situation, new modem ordered.

Both NBN Tech’s tell me it is my responsibility to notify Optus about the faulty modem.

Friday

10:00 am – Decide to but a DLink 2877 modem. Tried everything including DLink support line. No Internet, can’t get it going. Return modem.

10:30 Get an SMS to say the modem has been ordered, should be here in 5 working days.

12:00 pm Try a second hand an Optus Sagemcom 3846OP modem (to try and get internet going for the weekend). No passwords required. Power light, WiFi light on, DSL light blinking. Takes about 15 mins to fully sync Power light, WiFi light on, DSL light on, Internet light on, Phone light on. Works but with regular drop-outs.

Internet back on, YAY.

Saturday

Internet still working and the speed is what it used to be, around 23 Mbps DL, 4 Mbps UL.  Downside getting regular drop-outs, about 3 minutes duration every 30 minutes on average.

Happy to be back on line but it was a very draining customer  experience. Not happy about the regular drop-outs Smiley Sad

Re: Lightning fried my Sagemcom 3864AC. The story so far.

10000000000GB

Did your Dlink have an AL on the end of the model number?

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/fttn_registered_modem_router

gasman

yes

Hannah-L

Hey @gasman, we recommend getting in touch with our Tech Support team so that they can investigate the cause of the drop outs for you. They're available via LiveChat or by calling 13 13 44.

Post a Reply
iPhone X now available to order

Stock will be limited.Read More

Top Contributors
6 Kudos
3 Kudos
3 Kudos
3 Kudos
3 Kudos