cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Okitoki
New Contributor
New Contributor

Leaving Optus before contract ends... how to.

I have had the worst experience in my life moving to Optus. Now I want to leave ASAP. Is there anyway around leaving without paying the contract fees? 

This is my Story: I wasn't happy with the 12Mbps connection as it didn't even get Netflix working. So I called to see how I can get the quality up (especially on Prime times). After lots of waiting (Call Center wait time starts from 20 minutes and I have had 35 minute wait times, and that too is because Optus is stingy and doesn't want to hire more people to work on certain hours), and lots of technical mumbo jumbo, they said let's go on to the 25Mbps package. So I said ok. The agent said that since it was the middle of the month, I had to wait till the end of the month for the new package to kick in. I said ok so I waited. And then what happened? Nothing.. I waited till the 2nd of September and it didn't change. So I called, waited another 30 minutes. and they said sorry.. they "forgot" it. Then the lady did something and we lost the connection totally. She tried many things but said that they were unable to do anything more until Monday. So they cut my phone and internet on fathers day. What a wonderful present!!! It was terrible. Especially as we are a family that prefers to watch on demand. On Monday Night they got the connection working.

The funny thing is that I had to recall again on Monday as the guy said the ticket had been closed. 

Anyhow I also use the connection for business. So I had requested a static IP too. I use the IP to connect to many of my servers around the world. Now with the new package they say they have to change the Static IP too!!! That is what finally got me off my feet. It takes a whole 3 days to add the new IP's to my servers.

On top of all of this, they have sent me an invoice of the service they haven't given to me yet. I am sick and tired to call and have to wait 30 minutes prior each call.

So I don't want to work with Optus anymore. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Leaving Optus before contract ends... how to.

Sounds tough although don't cut your nose off to spite yourself (or something like that)

Customer service is important but 99% of the time we don't actually use it. Currently your connection is running as you need (speeds ok etc?) The main outstanding issue is the static IP? The residential Optus plans don't provide for a static IP. You could change your plan to a business one (as long as it is slightly more expensive). Static IP addresses are about $5 a month as listed here

Alternatively setup a DYNDNS account and set your modem to automatically update your current IP address as needed. Then you just use your DNS address in all your internet settings (e.g. www.Okitoki.home.com)

As to exiting your contract, that will depend on if you are not getting the speeds you are paying for. If Optus are (now) holding up their end then requesting a contract cancellation can be problematic.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Okitoki
New Contributor
New Contributor

I actually did pay the Static IP monthly fee for my home nbn. 

As for the contract cancellation, they are making fun of me. Forgetting to upgrade, shutting me out over the fathers day weekend, closing an active ticket without doing anything and now changing my static IP. This means that everytime I have a problem that cannot be solved with the online system, I have to go through the same agonizing SOP's. I don't want that. I want a company that respects me. Not anything like Optus acts towards me. 

I tried to call a few other companies service call center and the outcomes are amazing. So it's not all companies. I am not getting this service for free. I am paying 79,99$ + 5$ (Static IP) = 84,99$ per month. I expect to get the services I paid for. This is not just the signal. But the service behind it. The "customer care" behind it. The contract states many items of what Optus is responsible of. They are simply not responsible for "customer care". 

I don't think Optus will be able to change with the mentality that "Currently your connection is running as you need (speeds ok etc?)" Peter. I choose Optus above all others because it was a corporate to solve my problems if I ever had any. Not to just give me the connection and hope nothing goes wrong. 

So if you can help me Peter in how to cancel, I would be very grateful. I have come to understand after this reply that Optus is just not for me. 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

FWIW I don't think Optus are making fun of you ($30 billion dollar companies don't extract any value from humour at the customers expense Smiley Very Happy) You had a number of things go wrong. It happens. 

That said Optus is prone to a lot of manual adjustments behind the scene where customer service people try to help bu thave varying degrees of capability. As you said, one person ended up inadvertantly disconecting you. 

Interesting that you have had an at home static IP (something all the texts say isn't offered). Again it would seem a helpful cust service person managed to get it applied. Of course it was done 'under the table' so changing contracts probably saw it disappear.

But you're asking how to exit your contract. Currently your connection is running as you need (speeds ok etc?)" is not a "mentality". Its Optus legal obligation (i.e. upholding their end of the bargain). I only mention it, because if they're doing this then its generally not an option to exit your contract. If you look at the contract you signed won't actually find any reference to the "quality of the customer service". 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Okitoki
New Contributor
New Contributor

Peter, Optus not having anything on their contract in reliance to "quality of customer care" doesn't give them a "get out of jail free" card. It just shows that they comprehend that they don't give a sh#t on service. Making them viable.

Being in the software business, I am very rarely dissapointed as I have done my homework on everything I acquire. Optus is a very very big dissapointment.

Good luck in your deeds, what ever they may be. 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The contract is essentially a "get out of jail free card". In so much as Optus need not suffer any punative result while it is in force and Optus are holding up their end of the (written) deal. 

Your question is how to exit the deal. I can't offer any options likely to succeed, based on what you've said. 

Hopefully someone else can.

Good luck in your endevours too Smiley Happy

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos