Searching...
Accepted Solution

Landline on NBN after change from Optus Cable

[ Edited ]
nocrowding

I'm reposting my query under NBN to try and get some help.  Thus far, Optus Customer Support have been worse than useless, and their complaint system does not behave as advertised.

On the 2nd of Feb, we swapped from Optus Cable to NBN with Optus.  The internet connection all works just fine, so thats great.

We've had Optus Cable since 2001, and it has worked almost flawlessly for us over that time.  We have always had a landline bundled with the connection, and when that was originally installed, Optus connected their cable point into the household copper lines so that the existing 3 handsets would all work.  And they did.

Having moved to NBN, after 2 days, the landlne stopped receiving calls on the 4th of Feb as expected, so, as per the instructions from the NBN tech that did the install, we patched a phone lead from the wall socket of one of our handsets, to the phone socket on the back of the Sagecom modem/router that Optus sent us.

So now we can make and recieve phone calls on the landline again, however we now have, every 60 second, starting at around 24 seconds into every call (send or receive) an annoying electical click followed by a another about a second later.

optusnbnconnection.png

I've tried isolating each of the 3 handsets and the problem exists for all of them so I don't think its them.  I connected one handset directly into the Sagecom modem and the problem went away, so it seems to me that the problem is that we have a physical connection from the Sagecom to the house copper which is, in turn, still connected to the old Optus Cable box on the outside of the house.

In the diagram above the red boxed area is the connection of the handsets to the new NBN modems via the house wiring that was setup by Optus when the old Cable system was put in.  The arrow shows what I have to do to avoid the noises.

On the 4th of Feb, I spent 2 hours on the phone to Optus Tech Support, who played kick the footy with me, and the fifth Optus Tech Support person decided to hang up on me instead of pass me onto number six.  I asked for a technician to attend my home to fix the problem and disconnect the old cable, but at no point would they do that without basically lying, and kicking me on.

Has anyone else experienced this clicking/crackle issue?  Are there any instructions on how to disconnect the Optus Cable from the house ourselves?  Is that even safe?

I'm really dissapointed at the really poor service I have received since the installation.  If it weren't for this stupid click that interrupts the phone call every 60 seconds, all would be fine, and I'd have been able to be a good-news story.  So much for that.

Suggestions are welcome on how to fix this.  I note that the NBN tech pointed out that our connection is quite old, so the Optus Cable landline is not a VOIP landline but a proper connection into the cable (somehow).  I'm trying to avoid spending money on a whole new set of handsets and a base station as they will all need power (and hence, power points).

[UPDATE] 11 Feb 2019

Having got sick of waiting for Optus support or the complaints department to do anything I tried an experiment today.  Connecting one of my handsets directly into the new optus modem (thus bypassing the house and legacy Optus Cable wiring) the connection noise again goes away.

So I plugged my trusty old Optus "OneTouch" handset into the legacy Optus Cable wall socket as it has been for 18 years.  Nothing could be heard, however, if I sat there listening long enough, the light on the phone started to light up, at which time I heard the click, and then the light died, another click and nothing again for another 60 seconds.

So now I am convinced that the problem I'm having is because the legacy cable connection is still doing something electrically, and interfering with the handsets and the connection to the new NBN cable modem.  This click does sometimes cause an active phone call to be disconnected.

Here is a link to a video of the OneTouch for about 2 minutes.  At around 36 seconds, you can see the pulse of electrical activity.  At 1:36, you can see the next one.

optuscableconnectionissue.MOV

Here is another video that I recorded back on the 4th of Feb.  This one shows the audio problem. From memory, the first clicks happen at about 25 seconds into the call (look at the time on the phone), and then, of course, 60 seconds later.

optuscableconnectionissue_sound.MOV

So, from what I can tell, my only options are to get Optus to agree that their cable system is still causing problems in my house and send a technician out to fix it, or, give up and buy a new DECT system and bypass my house wiring completely (this should not be at my cost IMO).

Highlighted

Landline on NBN after change from Optus Cable

nocrowding

Last Saturday, we swapped from Optus Cable to NBN with Optus.  The internet connection all works just fine, so thats great.

We've had Optus Cable since 2001, and it has worked almost flawlessly for us over that time.  We have always had a landline bundled with the connection, and when that was originally installed, Optus connected their cable point into the household copper lines so that the existing 3 handsets would all work.  And they did.

Now, having moved to NBN, after 2 days, the landlne stopped receiving calls yesterday (Monday), so, as per the instructions from the NBN tech that did the install on Saturday, we patched a phone lead from the wall socked of one of our handsets, to the phone socket on the back of the Sagecom modem/router than Optus sent last week.

So now we can make and recieve phone calls on the landline again, however we now have, every 60 second, starting at around 24 seconds into the call (send or receive) an annoying electical click followed by a second one about a second later.

I've tried isolating each of the 3 handsets and the problem exists for all of them so I don't think its them.  I connected one handset directly into the Sagecom modem and the problem went away, so it seems to me that the problem is that we have a physical connection from the Sagecom to the house copper which is, in turn, still connected to the old Optus Cable box on the outside of the house.

Last night I spent 2 hours on the phone to Optus Tech Support, who played kick the footy with me, and the fifth Optus Tech Support person decided to hang up on me instead of pass me onto number six.  I asked for a technician to attend my home to fix the problem and disconnect the old cable, but at no point would they do that without basically lying, and kicking me on.

Has anyone else experienced this clicking/crackle issue?  Are there any instructions on how to disconnect the Optus Cable from the house ourselves?  Is that even safe?

I'm really dissapointed at the really poor service I received last night.  If it weren't for this stupid click that interrupts the phone call every 60 seconds, all would be fine, and I'd have been able to be a good-news story.  So much for that.

Suggestions welcome on how to fix this.  I note that the NBN tech pointed out that our connection is quite old, so the Optus Cable landline is not a VOIP landline but a proper connection into the cable (somehow).

Solution

Re: Landline on NBN after change from Optus Cable

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Get some electrical tape. Pull (yank / cut with electical pliers) the legacy cable and wrap the tape around.

Otherwise contact Optus and ask for the cable to be removed. They'll record it and at some point in the next 4 weeks it will be removed. 

Peter Gillespie

PS The Optus cable network is due to be completely dismantelled in the next 2 years. It has nothing to do with the NBN.

PPS Love the diagnostic efforts you've enacted.

nocrowding

Thanks @petergdownload for that suggestion.

I'd wondered about doing something like that, however yesterday when I had a look at the back of the panel on the wall (I'm lucky; I can access the back of the wall), there are three connections.

optuswallpanel.png

So there are three cables on the back, leading into the bricks and flooring.  The coaxial connection leads to the optus box on the outside of the house.  I think the other two somehow connect as well to the box on the outside of the house and that there is another connection "somewhere" that connects the house "copper", allowing all three home phone sockets to work on the one phone line.

I had thought I could disconnect the coaxial, but in reality, it's not in use (anymore) by anything inside my house so far as I can tell; so I don't think it will make any difference. So with the connection to the RJ45 sockets making this electrical signal every 60 seconds, it seems like I need Optus to somehow disconnect the Optus Cable box from the "copper" in my house.

Back on the 4th, I spent 2 hours trying to get the tech support people to agree to send a technician to my home to do this, but they just bounced me around until the 5th person broke the connection.  I guess I need to try again as todays tests, and your response give me the impression that's my only real solution if I don't want to wait for Optus to remove their cable from my street.

Thanks.

nocrowding

Well, after visiting my local Optus store and getting their help to connect more directly with customer support, I managed to get a technician to visit my house.  With his help, we disconnected the Cable from the house, and then removed the connection from the Cable box to the internal house phone wiring.  He also kindly helped me reconnect the house wiring to a new faceplate that could take a patch lead from the NBN modem.

This guy was awesome, going beyond his paid time, just to be helpful.  If only the phone tech support prople were this helpful from the start.

Thank for your response; it gave me the condidence to insist on the technician visit.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos