Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
pikpik123
New Contributor
New Contributor

Landline making calls to 13 number by itself

I have a landline with my NBN bundle.

On checking my domestic call logs in my bills, it appears there are many calls to the same 13xxxxxx number on random occasions, all for exactly 1 minute in duration and I'm being charged $0.35 for each of these calls.

However, I am not making these calls. But it's showing up on my phone bill, multiple calls to this number throughout the month.

I check the government's number register and this 13xxxxxx number actually belongs to Optus.

I asked the Optus App messaging, and they said this is the "Optus directory number". I asked them why my landline is making these calls without my knowledge and they said they cant tell me as they don't have control of my landline and that Im responsible for paying the $0.35 each call (the charge for 13/1300 numbers) as it is coming from my landline and I should stop making the calls (which Im not making...)

But it sounds like I'm being scammed, with my optus landline calling an optus 13xxxxxx by itself without my knowledge and racking up a $0.35 charge each time.

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Landline making calls to 13 number by itself

Thats very strange. I'm curious as to what the actual 13 number was.

How many calls are we talking about?
Have you checked the date/time of the calls for any patterns?
0 Kudos
pikpik123
New Contributor
New Contributor

The number being called is 13451864 at random times, 2-3 per times per day and during business hours.

I only just picked this up as I have my bills paid by direct debit...the these additional 13/1300 calls have been adding to $20-30 per month.

I do have call forwarding on to my mobile, and this also shows on the call logs/bill as $0 for each call diverted to my mobile as it shows my mobile as the destination (as calls to mobile are included in land line plan). So I don't actually use my landline to make any calls at all (but it is plugged in).

I gave up with asking the Support Chat as they just kept telling me to stop making calls to 13/1300 if I didnt want to be charged for them.

0 Kudos
Kartika

Thanks for reaching out to us @pikpik123 We understand your concern in regards to the calls and charges to the 13xxx number on your landline. We will only charge customers for what they have used on the service. If there is a call to a 13xxx number that means is has registered on the network from your home phone. 

What is the full 13xxx number you are charged for? Is it the Optus customer service line (133937) or is it the directory assistance number?

Directory assistance is like white page or yellow pages where customer is searching for a number where once you have found the number you are looking for you can ask them to directly connect you to the third party and you will see the 3rd party 13xxx number on the bill → Optus directory assistance page.

Is there anyone else in your house that has access to the landline and made those calls? Have you got → call diversion set on your home phone?

In order for us to investigate further we need to look into your account. However we can`t access customers account details here as this is a public forum. As such your best to contact our support team via the → messaging service to assist you further.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
pikpik123
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi,
I have call diversion set up online via the settings tab, pointing to my (single) mobile number only. The call diversion works as the bill shows my mobile as the destination for calls that have been diverted.

The 13451864 is the 13 number being called according to the my bill. It is the same 13 number each time, at random times, multiple times during the day.

I'm definitely not making these calls, and I am the only one with access to my landline so no one else is making these calls physically.

I did try Optus messaging support. They dont understand and keep insiting I stop making calls to 13/1300 numbers if I dont want to be charged. All they offer is a credit for the charges for the recent month. But this doesnt fix the issue, looking on my past bills it has been happening for last 12 months+.
0 Kudos
Kartika

Hi @pikpik123 in that case your best to contact us via Social media by sending a → private message to Optus on Facebook or a → direct message on Twitter with the details for further assistance.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Do you maybe have a home alarm system that calls back to base?

I suggest calling that number once and see if you can work out what that service actually is?
Top Contributors