Searching...

LAN issues with 3864AC Modem

retrojit

Hi,

I'm having random LAN issues with current AC modem supplied with NBN. I thought its premium one as Optus claimed but its just piece of crap. I keep losing wifi lan connectivity from my laptop, smart phones and smart TV as well. It wasn't like that with IINET when I had ADSL with them.

Wondering if there is any better option ?

Cheers

Jit

Re: LAN issues with 3864AC Modem

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

First Up, are you losing WIFI or LAN connectivity? 

Also what NBN tech do you have? FTTN?

Peter Gillespie

karbl

HI

I have been with Optus NBN FTTN for two weeks and the "internet" reguarly drops out on our Sagecomm 3864AC modem.  By the time I ring their tech support department, put in my account number and select internet service, it is like something automatically kick starts at their back end and the "internet" light on our modem comes back on.  (without us have to restart the modem)!

Annoying how it keeps going off line though.  When the techie installed it, we are 200 metres from the NBN box at the end of our street and his cable tested showed full 50 mbps, speedtest.net shows 45mbps down and 18 up.

kb

[ Edited ]
retrojit

All devices are connected via wifi in a LAN. It keeps droping.

petergdownload

And your NBN technology?

The most straight forward option is probably just to buy another modem. If you don't need a land VOIP phone then you don't need the Optus Modem at all. 

However before that you should test a cable CAT5 connection to ensure its the wifi that is dropping out and not the NBN itself.

Peter Gillespie

karbl

Jit

It could be a faulty modem.  Call tech support & ask them to run the usual tests from their end.  There may also be an issue with your NBN connection / local copper wire cabling etc. 

Make sure you only have the NBN modem plugged in to your phone / wall socket and that no other devices, like old answering machines, old phone handsets are still plugged in to any other old wall sockets etc, just a thought.

Yes, plug the network cable in to the modem & to your laptop and see if that connection is stable & if so, recheck the wifi settings on the modem & laptop.  If this fails, perhaps a faulty modem.  Gotta run these easy tests to rule them out before trying a new modem.

kb

Highlighted

SillyGogo

I had a similar problem, some how after about 5 factory hard reset, the problem goes away. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos