Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
marcus10
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Itunes speed on NBN

Hi there

I have NBN100 on FTTN with Speedtest results on 50 to 55 mbps consistently. 

I have an issue with iTunes movie streaming. On Netflix, the picture goes straight to 4K. On iTunes, the picture quality is terrible - only Standard Definition. This is not an issue with Apple TV set up, and my NBN speed should be more than enough to support 4K streaming on iTunes. Therefore, this has to be an Optus network issue.

Can anyone from Optus assist with this?  Your live chat does not appear to be working and your phone number is not either.

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Itunes speed on NBN

How have you ruled out it not being an issue with AppleTV?

The fact you can get 4K on any service suggests that the NBN network is working fine and that 

FWIW Netflix are industry leaders in content delivery at varying qualities and line speeds and buffering etc. (i.e. giving you the best PQ you can handle). 

I'd look at the AppleTV again. Is it connected via wire?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
marcus10
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter. The Apple TV is connected by high speed ethernet cable to the modem router so not a Wi Fi issue.  A speedtest on WiFi from the same location as Apple TV reads 50 mbps in any event.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

A wifi speed test is not testing your ethernet line speed. 

Can you run a speed test on the apple tv itself?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

SteveV
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

How is your apple tv connected the to TV. If you're using old HDMI cables they may no support 4k (some of the early cables didn't), What TV are you using. I know with my Sony tv and ps4 pro i had to manually change a setting in my TV to enable the ps4 to detect that the tv was 4k enabled and not just HDR. Are you sure that your netflix is running at 4k and not just HDR i know when i check mine even on 4k content i still sometimes have to check the resolution that netflix is broadcasting in on the tv. Is your apple tv plugged into a HDR/4k enabled HDMI port as annoying as it is some TV's have different ports enabled e.g. my sony 4k is available on hdmi 2 and 3 but not on hdmi 1

SteveV
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Also are you running the apple tv through a soundbar, surround sound system etc as this may also have an effect on the through put signal

0 Kudos
marcus10
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi, thanks for the input all.

I have run Ookla Speedtest via the Apple TV app. I am getting 46 mbps through the wired ethernet cable on the Apple TV. The HDMI cable between the TV (LG OLED C7) is a high speed 4k HDMI cable.  I have tried different HDMI inputs on the TV but it makes no difference at all. 

The Apple TV is run direct to the LG OLED C7 with a toslink back to the AV receiver for audio only. 

Apple TV is set to output 4K 60Hz HDR. 

On a visual test, iTunes appears to be streaming in SD at best at the moment.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

So the question is, is Optus doing something to the Apple TV stream or is Apple doing something to the Apple TV stream? My guess would be the later as Optus cribbing a competitor data stream opens it up to a world of hurt (not to mention Apple would no doubt take an interest in it themselves)

Is it the (AppleTV) hardware or the overseas links? I believe Optus hosts Netflix content in Oz while Apple is still sent from the US (big speed hit).

1. How does a 1080p show appear on AppleTV?

2. Does AppleTV allow you to download shows and then watch? Does this work?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
marcus10
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

I've tried all sorts with this. I read on another forum that it is an issue with Optus' servers and it can be solved with a VPN/DNS change. Tried this - small improvement but generally doesn't make a significant difference. 

Unfortunately, 4K shows cannot be downloaded on Apple TV. 

I've had a small improvement from switching from ethernet to 5G wifi.

It is a real shame that iTunes content cannot be downloaded at a faster speed to take advantage of the connection. 

0 Kudos
marcus10
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have read that there is a cable break between Perth and Singapore. iiNet are currently reporting a break in the international fibre between Perth and Singapore which is causing disruption to connections to services in the Asia region. I have also read that similar breaks in the past (3 in the last 3 years) have made Apple services almost unusable for Australian customers.  It is interesting that I had no issues with Apple iTunes downloads up until the last week but suddenly I can't stream in a usable manner. It is also interesting that iiNet are reporting this issue but Optus is wholly silent.

Would anyone from Optus care to comment on whether this issue is affecting your customers? It would explain a lot.

0 Kudos