cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
KimPoon
New Contributor
New Contributor

Is it possible to use a Dlink dsl-2888a modem router to replace Sagemcom 5366tn?

Hi there,

I would like to findout if it is possible to replace the Optus NBN broadband modem router (Sagemcom 5366tn) with a third party modem router. Basically, I have an existing Dlink DSL-2888A modem router which is capable of doing VDSL. So if I attempt to do the replacement, all I need is it just the username & password to login, right? or there are more details to be configured or setup? I understand I won't be able to use my phone anymore but don't really mind.

Thank you for all your help & support.

Regards,

Kim

0 Kudos
4 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Is it possible to use a Dlink dsl-2888a modem router to replace Sagemcom 5366tn?

What NBN technology do you have? (FTTN?) Do you have a small NBN router that the Optus modem plugs into?

There should be no setup. Just unplug the Optus router and plug in yours. Use the WAN port on the DLInk to the NBN modem. Done.

You will not be able to use the Optus landline phone now though. Otherwise set your new modem up as you want.

0 Kudos
KimPoon
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Is it possible to use a Dlink dsl-2888a modem router to replace Sagemcom 5366tn?

FTTN. No, I do not have a small NBN router that the Optus modem plus into.

The Sagemcom 5366tn is the supplied Optus modem router (all in one), I cannot just remove it and connect my own modem router. Also this Sagemcom 5366 cannot be configured in bridge mode.

Is there any recommended third party modem that can be used with Optus NBN (FTTN)?

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yeah. FTTN is not great on so many levels (any other NBN technology would have a simple NBN unit to anything plug into)

Why can't you just remove the Optus Router (at least just for a test)? It should be plugged into the phone line, just plug the phone line into your DSL modem and try configure.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

For FTTN you don't need a username and password but if the configuration is not done correctly you can actually cause the line to get blocked, and that requires contacting Optus to get it unblocked.

See this thread for a possible solution, but make sure you read the entire thread before making any changes.