cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor scottle
Occasional Contributor

Is it conspiratorial to sell NBN plans knowing that the network is unstable and mostly unusable

Our NBN connection has been mostly unusable for the past two months. Support call after support call, tech visit after tech vistis has failed to improve the situation.

I asked my next door neighbor if they were connected to the NBN. He replied tha they were not, and that they have not heard any good reports about the service. He went on to say thay that it was not available. So I checked their address on the NBN website to find the following:

"We’re currently getting the nbn™ broadband access network up and running in your area" Planned availability: Progressively from Jul-Sep 2018*

So what does this mean to us nextdoor that have already signed up to a contact that does not deleiver?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Re: Is it conspiratorial to sell NBN plans knowing that the network is unstable and mostly unusable

Hey @scottle, it is strange that your next door neighbour isn't NBN ready when yours is. I'm not too sure why that may be, but if you have an on-going fault with the network and no ETR can be provided, you may be granted an early contract release to use a network more suitable for your property.

Given that you have already had technical investigations opened, I would advise speaking with the Retention Team on 1300300427. They will assess your recent fault ticket and advise options for your contract moving forward.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Re: Is it conspiratorial to sell NBN plans knowing that the network is unstable and mostly unusable

Hi Toomey

You stated that you think it is strange that  our next door neighbour isn't NBN ready when ours is. To me this just points to the fact that the NBN and OPTUS know that the area has issues and. Instead of admitting it they, just continue to give us the run around, and take our money for a service they are not providing in full.

I will speak to t the retention team as you suggested as the current situation is not working and has only lead to frustration and discontentment

Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Hmm, sounds like some UFOs are hovering in your area. Are you on the NBN via the HFC network by any chances?

If your area is using the HFC network then it could be that your neighbour haven't sign up to the NBN prior to the HFC freeze

(https://www.smh.com.au/technology/nbn-puts-new-hfc-rollout-timetable-on-hold-20180227-p4z1wb.html, h...)

Just like at me dad's place, NBN sent out letter in June 2017 saying it is ready and we can connect, So if we took up the connection at that time then we would have the NBN in July 2017. However, we didn't because of the complex phone set up. then in Nov NBN put a hold on all new HFC connection. So in Jan when we check the NBNco website it saying that NBN is NOT avaliable in our address. Just like you and your neigbour situation. 

Saying that I am going fine on the NBN via the HFC, I took up the service few weeks after my suburb went live. Dont know the full technical details why NBN putting a hold on the HFC rollout, could be some area have dodgy cable or taps, so instead of receiving alot of call out to fix, they might upgrade or check it all before starting the roll out again. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

We were connected to the NBN with FFTN. I have look further into the situation and it appears around 20% of our areas was connected before they withdew the service from the area.  The new construction is HFC

Our service is like paying full price for a bus fare but the bus only takes you half way and you have to get out qand walk the rest. In my business if our customners could only use our products 50% of the time I don't think they would would be very happy.  So I don't see why OPTUS think We should just except this discracefull service.

As sugested by Toomey in the above post, I tried to get out of theis agreement only to be met with argument and sugeestions that I would have to pay to break the agreement. As the argument esculated  the call was taken over by a supervisor who advised that he wouod put me on a faster plan.  I explained that it will not mater how fast the plan is if it doesn't work. He insisted that I try it and he would call me back to see how it was working.

Well it is faster when it works, bt is still only works half the time, and the times it doesn't work is always the time you need it the most.

I have wasted so many hours tryin gto resolve this to no avail. I have now lodged a complaint through the TIO so I am hoping OPTUS will let me go without having to further draw this out and tun into a legal battle.

Very Dissapointing to say the least!

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

no one wants to sell you a half baked cake, it is no good for all parties. Unfortunately, things are not always go to plan as there an many fingers in the pie. The area that could go wrong can be the NBN network, congestion from the exhausted of bandwidth that Optus purchased from NBN, the infrastructure from the NODE to your home via the cooper Network, or the Cooper from the street to your phone plug, once inside it could be the modem or your equiptment.

So depending where the issue is/are it is then need to decide who is going to fix what. The hard part is to indentify  the issue. When ever there is an issue, I always troubleshoot and do test to make sure that it is all good on my end, eg from the entry point of my home to my devices. If that is all good then I would esculate to the next level and go from there. 

I understand your point on the paying for the full fare and only got half the distance. I think it is fair for you to ask Optus for an appropriate amount poportion to the service your received and continue until the issue is resolve. However, I would suggest you to be more proactive to test out your end to make sure that it is not your equipment that causes the issue. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response and suggestions. I have already checked out all my equipment. I have had two NBN techs and one Optus tech check out all the connections and everything from the pole to my house. As in each case all checks out ok. This is why I am pointing the finger at the network

Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

@scottleOh No, unfortunately, this is the NBN plaform we all have to live with instead of the superior FTTP. Hope NBN sort out the infrastructure in your area and get you going 100% . Good luck with the negotiation with Optus, I hope you are fairly compensated for the issues that you are experiencing with your service

New Contributor Maggs
New Contributor

That is their preferred option - take as much money from you as possible and then when you get sick of complaining, they offer to release you from the contract.  They should be forced to refund every cent they took from you.  Telco's know if they can deliver a consistent service before they sign you up, and even if they can't they sign you up regardless - it is tantamount to theft. It is all about signing up customers and getting revenue through the door, because once they get the money, there is little chance they will have to hand it all back at any stage.  Customer churn used to be a big concern for telco companies - they would do anything to reduce the churn and keep customers.  And now they are releasing customers from contracts with no penalties, and telling them to take their business elsewhere!  They do it because they are fully aware that if consumers launched a mass class action against them, they would be forced to pay out hundreds of millions in compensation for unconscionable conduct, in addition to massive financial penalties imposed by government regulators.  

Top Contributors