cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Is a HFC Box coming?

Hi all, apologies if some of this seems obvious, I'm really not clued up on the NBN at all. We just moved into a new house that the address checker says uses "HFC" to connect, which googling seems to suggest means my NBN comes through the screw-in type cable connectors in my living room wall with the Telstra box outside?

I just received the "Sagemcom" Optus modem, which says in its setup guide that I should connect it to my NBN HFC Connection box, and if I'm installing the connection box I must do that before installing the Optus modem. I haven't received a HFC Box? Is one likely to be coming, or is it something Optus think I have?

My Delivery note says I've recieved
BOM;NBN HFC NEW AC BOM
I have no idea what BOM means, (but it must be good as they said it twice, lol) does that mean a HFC box is coming as a "item 2 of 2" delivery, or does NEW AC just refer to the NBN plan itself? The fact I'm having trouble googling this is making me think something's gone wrong....

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Is a HFC Box coming?

BOM should just be their identifier code for a broadband modem, and in your case its a "NBN HFC NEW AC".

The NBN HFC Connection box is supplied by NBNCO and the NBNCO address checker should tell you what service class (i.e. nbn status) your address is, and it should be one of the following:

Service Class 21 A site that is serviceable by HFC but has no lead-in or NTD in place.
Service Class 22 The premises, which is serviceable by HFC, has a lead-in, but no wall-plate/socket or NTD installed.
Service Class 23 HFC premises with a lead-in and wall-plate in place but no NTD installed.
Service Class 24 The property is now nbn™ ready with a lead in, wall-plate, and NTD installed. Service can now be ordered.

If its class 21 or 22, Optus should have arranged an NBN tech to come out.

If its 23, Optus should have arranged an NBNCO tech, unless you get selected for HFC self install trial, in which case NBNCO should have sent you the NBN connection box.

If its 24, the premises should already have the NBN connection box installed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Is a HFC Box coming?

I received only one qty NBN HFC NEW AC BOM. I didn’t receive Sagemcom fast 5366 TN.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors