cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Internet, phone and Eftpos not working.

Hello Optus,

As the title says - The internet, phone and Eftpos have been offline since about 1pm today. I am located in Albury 2640 and am aware there was a major Telstra outage here today. My family run a restaurant and I'm sure you can imagine the frustration of not having phone, internet or Eftpos operational while trying to conduct business. I checked if there were any Optus outages in Albury and it says there should be no disruptions. The business next door has everything working however they are with Telstra.

Did the Telstra outage affect Optus lines aswell?

We recently switched to the NBN and got sent the new Sagemcom black modem, It's the V3 one. When setting it up I was instructed to remove the adsl filter from the wall socket and plug the modem directly into the wall. Then plug the phone directly into the phone socket in the modem. Setting it up like this resulted in nothing - no internet or phone, yet the Optus website explicitly told me not to use the adsl filter with a NBN connection. I'm pretty sure it's a FTTN connection.

Anyway, I decided to try the exact same setup as before switching to NBN- plug adsl filter in wall socket, plug phone line into the phone socket on the filter and then plug the modem into the adsl socket on the filter. After doing this everything worked properly which makes me think I'm not really connected to the NBN.

Regardless, everything was working fine until 1pm today when the Telstra outage happened.

Being a business I really need this issue addressed quickly as I am crippled without internet or phone.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Internet, phone and Eftpos not working.

The ADSL filter doesn't affect the internet. Its used so your phone can keep working.

Its definitely not needed on an NBN connection. So either you're correct and you aren't on the NBN or something else happened while switching stuff around to get it running. Suggest you try without a filter. If that doesn't work the sure, use the filter.

The Telstra outage shouldn't have affected you but I'm sure plenty of other RSP had customers with unrelated issues today to.

As a business you should look into backup options. Your phone plan can be used to create a hotspot and create network if your landline goes down. You can also get modems and services that now automatically switch to a 4G backup SIM when the landline goes down (Telstra has one, I'm not sure if Optus do). If you are on Optus and your neighbour business is on Telstra then perhaps invest in a 30m cat6 ethernet cable ($30). Then go chat to your neighbor. If either of your connection goes down for more than 30 minutes then you can just roll out the cable and plug the working modem into the other business network. Might not look pretty but should be workable. 

Also you can redirect your landline to a mobile via the Optus website.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Internet, phone and Eftpos not working.

Hi @LordSolon - thanks for getting in touch. Not great to hear you've had trouble with your broadband and landline services. We do apologise for the downtime. 

I will say it is strange that your services were functioning normally after using the ADSL filter. Realistically that shouldn't of helped if you're on NBN, but we should be able to confirm this for you.

If you're still having trouble, can you please send me a private message with your full name, date of birth, and account number so that we can check this out?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos