Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
ryanckip
New Contributor
New Contributor

Internet keeps dropping in and out

My NBN internet just keeps dropping out for around 15 seconds every 10 minutes before resuming the connection. The connection status on the right bottom corner on windows was telling me my computer was still connected even during a dropout. I have tried restarting the modem, but nothing has changed. It is very annoying since it just keeps happening every now and then. 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
VinW
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Internet keeps dropping in and out

I have the same problem.

The same problem persists since last week.  I am sure it is not my network problem.

My internet stops for 15 seconds every 10 minutes.  

I live near Homebush

0 Kudos
Kartika

Hi @ryanckip, sorry about your internet connection issue. There could be various factors affecting this. I would suggest to try some basic troubleshooting first and see how you go. If the issue continues then raise it with Tech Support → here to investigate further.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Kartika

I would suggest the same for you @VinW. Try some basic troubleshooting first and see how you go. If the issue continues then raise it with Tech Support → here to investigate further.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
ryanckip
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi, thank you for your reply. I have contacted 2 agents yesterday and they have reset my nbn box and modem, but to no avail. The problem persists and one agent told me there were many customers reporting the same issue and there were some issues with the nbn (I live in strathfield which is basically next to Homebush where the other user reported the same issue). So I am thinking this may really be the case. However the agent told me to continue monitor any changes and said nothing can be done at this stage. I do not think this is an excuse and is acceptable in any way. 

0 Kudos
ASP
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have had Optus nbn since at least March 2017 and since then have had serious connectivity issues with random dropouts all day everyday lasting from 3minutes to 3hours.

Powercycling the modem sometimes fixes the issue, sometimes doesn’t. Using LAN rather than WiFi makes no difference. Hard resetting the modem to start again doesn’t fix the problem. I have tried using the sagemcom as a router with the wifi switched off and a second router as the wifi provider. Nothing makes a difference. So very frustrating when I work from home, when my kids need the internet for schoolwork and we all want the entertainment benefits. 

As well as the dropouts, uploads speeds on the fastest nbn plan have been consistently 0.96Mb with Speedtest.net even though the router reports possible 45mb. And this is while download speeds are around 65mb (modem says 107Mb). When it works download speeds are fine. But it seems like the internet is off whenever I need to use it. 

I have spent hours on phone and live chat for Optus to variously say there is no problem, or it’s a normal dropout, or i just need to cycle my router, or they don’t provide support for byo devices.

So so annoyed but sick of trying to deal with Optus so have been putting up with it for the past 6-9 months.  Everytime it drops out when my kids are watching Netflix they say “Optus No”. I don’t think that’s what the slogan is supposed to be. 

Most recently got fed up so decided to ditch the sagemcom modem. Thought I’d finally gotten a Dlink 2888A working without the sagemcom after a couple of hours last night. But the problem persists.

As I’ve been typing this message on my phone (using Optus 4G) the connection has dropped and reconnected at least 8 times. This can’t be ‘normal’

Can anyone help? How do you convince Optus there is a problem with the line or the connectors or something else technical and something needs to be done?

im paying enough money that it should work.

Friends with other providers report no problems and no ‘normal’ dropouts and no loss of upload/download speed. 

Have been with Optus a while but unless this is fixed I’m definitely changing at the end of this contract. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Tris

@ryanckip were you provided any fault reference numbers? I'll try and get you an update

@ASP, I agree this experience sounds really frustrating, if a fault was apparent on our end, it would certainly be raised for investigation. Do you have a fault reference number from where it's been looked into previously? I'll see if I can get it looked into by our Case Management team 

0 Kudos
ryanckip
New Contributor
New Contributor

No I don’t. How do I get one?

0 Kudos
Tris

This would normally be provided by Tech Support when a problem ticket is raised @ryanckip. If you send a PM with your full name, account number and DOB I can check your account notes

0 Kudos
ASP
New Contributor
New Contributor

No i don’t have a fault reference because Ive only ever gotten as far as - ‘it’s normal’  “power cycle your router and it’ll be fixed.” And ‘it says it’s working from optus’ end’

people on phone and/or live chat don’t seem to listen to the actual problem. 

0 Kudos