cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Internet dropping out for hours at a time.

Hi,

The DSL light on my modem has been stuck flashing for the past 4 or so days and I can't connect to the internet. Once or so per day the internet will connect and the modem will work as it should but this is random and may only last a couple of hours before dropping out again. I've tried resetting the modem multiple times (turning it off, waiting 30 seconds, turning it on, checking all cables are connected etc...). Each time the modem gets stuck at the DSL part of boot up and the DSL light just flashes.

I rang technical support and the man got me to reset the modem again and he said he made a few changes but couldn't get a connection established. He told me it was a problem on the NBN side of things and said the issue would need to be escalated and a level 2 technician would have to investigate. I was given a reference number - 22957493 and told I would be contacted within 24-48 hours. It's now been 4 days and I haven't heard anything from Optus or NBN and essentially had no internet for this time.

For about 2 weeks prior to this the internet had often been dropping out but would come back after the modem was reset. Is the issue with the NBN side of things or is it the modem? I need a working internet connection for work so this is massively inconvenient. I need this resolved ASAP.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Internet dropping out for hours at a time.

Hi LordSolon

I've had a look at the fault reference number and they've been trying to call however they're getting a message saying the contact number has been disconnected whenever they do. If you send our Social Media team a message on Facebook or Twitter they can get this updated for you. Alternatively you can contact the Tech Support team again as you've done previously to get the case raised

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

This case is being handled so badly. Why does it not have a higher priority? The account holder has been with Optus for 20 years - since the days of dial-up. Now into the 9th day of no internet and no possible solution is in sight. I have spoken to technical support nearly every day since Monday after initially raising this issue last Thursday and while the people I speak to on the phone seem to want to help, not a single thing has been done.

Here are the issues,

1. No internet since the 13th of August 2020. Modem power light is on, Wi-Fi light is on, DSL light flashing, all other lights off.

2. After raising this with technical support on the 13th I was told they can't resolve it and a level 2 technician will be assigned to my case. After confirming my contact number I was informed I will be contacted by this technician ASAP. I wait until the 17th (Monday) before calling technical support again to find out what is happening. Turns out that after confirming my correct contact number with me the previous person I spoke to didn't enter it correctly into the system so Optus had the wrong number...

3. Again I am left waiting, call up technical support and after confirming my number yet again am told the technician tried to call a second time but the number is disconnected. This is the very number that I am talking to them from so clearly not disconnected. I find out that the contact number is still incorrect. I get it updated for what I believe is the second time and am told to wait for a call from the technician.

4. A day passes and still no contact so onto technical support again. I'm told I will receive a call within the next couple of hours or the next day as it was after 5pm at the time.

5. The next day I finally receive the call but am in a meeting with a solicitor at the time and am unable to take it. I know it's just bad luck with the timing on this one but I was unable to return the call after the meeting. I rang technical support again and they tried to connect me directly with the technician but were unable to. I was told I would be contacted within the next 24 hours.

It's now Saturday (August 22nd) and I know I won't be contacted today as technicians don't respond on weekends. I don't know why I even need to be contacted before something can happen. You don't need my permission to check your own infrastructure to see if it's connected properly. If that side of things are fine then the issue could be the modem. If that's the case then drop one off in my letterbox or at the front door like every other postman and delivery driver does. You don't need my permission to do that. If the technician needs to come to the house to run some tests, tell me what time they will be there and I will arrange something. Just do what needs to be done.

There are no reported outages in my area. Can I please get some kind of resolution. I know Optus will bill me the full amount for this month whether my internet is working or not. Case reference number is 22957493 and I'm happy for you to listen to all the recordings of the calls I've made if that will provide any insight.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Understand this is frustration @LordSolon, however we don`t have access to customers account on this public forum. You will need to speak with our support team either via the → messaging service or by calling them on 131344 - Mon - Fri 8am - 8pm AEST to look into this for you. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply but it's now September 8 and still no internet...

There are some serious failings in the Optus technical support system and in Optus's ability to liaise with the NBN technicians. God knows how many times I've spoken to technical support on the phone but I know it's in excess of 15 times. How can it take more than 15 conversations all on different days to do one of the following -

1. Arrange for a technician to come and investigate the problem.

2. Send me a new modem.

That's it, that's all I've needed but after hours of talking to technical support over almost a 4 week period, there are seemingly insurmountable obstacles to getting one or both of these organised. I've had a technician booked to visit over 6 times and every time they try and contact me they are being given the incorrect number from Optus. They try and call, they get told the number is disconnected and they move onto the next case. I then ring up technical support to find out wtf is going on and get told that the number they tried to call is different from the number Optus has listed as my contact number. I correct the details and get the technical support person to confirm the correct number and wait for the technician to ring. Technican calls again and has the wrong number given to them by Optus...

This loop has been never ending since I first called technical support. Every time I confirm the correct contact number the technician gets given the incorrect number. After this happening over 5 times I called back maybe 2 hours after getting my details corrected to make sure it's the right details and the technical support guy immediately starts reading out the wrong contact number.

Seriously guys - How is this happening?

It doesn't end there either,

After a while this case got the attention of a technical support supervisor and he escalated it. He has been pretty good but has only limited information available to him and everything he's done to get this case resolved has been thwarted by whatever system Optus has in place to deal with cases like mine. He decided to send me a new modem so I can at least rule out a faulty modem as the cause. He placed the order over 2 weeks ago and estimated it would be about 4 days until delivery. He calls me every couple of days to see if the modem has arrived but it still hasn't.

According to his information the delivery was failed. I asked what that meant as there was someone home the entire time the modem was supposed to arrive and no delivery driver came. Did it mean that the delivery driver tried to deliver it but couldn't? Does it mean they came to the house but nobody came to the door? Does it mean that there was an issue getting the modem sent from the warehouse? Aslam (the technical support supervisor) said his information just says it was a failed delivery and he can't be more specific than that.

That's a big part of where the system fails - lack of information.

So a second modem gets ordered and I'm also waiting for that but then yesterday I get a call from Optus and the guy who has been dealing with me is no longer available and the case has been handed over to a new person. This new person doesn't know the previous person who was dealing with the case and they didn't work in the same building either. The new person is unsure of the status of the modem deliveries due to the lack of information available to them. They are also unable to contact the previous person dealing with my case. After some conversation we decided that it would be quicker to book a technician again and get them to bring a new modem with them.

This brings me back to the start of this post - the NBN technicians always get given the incorrect contact number for me. It doesn't matter how many times I update and confirm this with Optus technical suppport, it just goes around in a circle.

I've been told that if a modem doesn't arrive by tomorrow (Wednesday) then a technician will be booked. If the technician gets booked then I worry they will be given the wrong contact number further stalling the case. There's a heap of notes made by technical support staff which I'm pretty sure are displayed oldest first making the wrong contact number appear first when scrolling down.

I know you don't have access to customer account info on this forum anymore but can I please get something better than "please call our technical support staff between blah blah hours or use our messaging service". The first guy that replied was at least able to look into the reference number.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @LordSolon,

We can look at fault reference numbers as @Aron_YC did in the past for you, however to arrange modem replacements and appointments etc we need to refer you to the teams that @Kartika mentioned above as it requires access to your account information. 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I recommend you look into the fault reference number. You don't need access to my account details or arrange an appointment to see what the process has been like for me. I've commented on the failings of whatever reporting/logging system Optus has in place. All the endless loops of technician being booked, calling the wrong number and then moving onto next case will be in the notes for that reference number. The constant corrections of account details that then don't get saved.

I can't even get the service cancelled and then start a new plan with you guys because the new modem is still getting sent from the same place. Why can't you look into some of the things I've talked about?

When I get my details corrected (which I have never changed in the first place), why does it revert back to the wrong details?

Why is the technician always being sent the incorrect contact number?

I live in an area with almost 100,000 people, why is a technician only available on Thursdays? Even the technical support guy was surprised at this.

I don't know, all you have to do is read the notes for my case reference number to see that things are going wrong all over the place. I need some answers as to how all this stuff is happening and why everything is going wrong.

0 Kudos

I understand that the situation is quite the hassle @lordsalon, but as mentioned by @Casey_YC and @Aron_YC, we need to refer you to the teams that @Kartika mentioned above as it requires access to your account information, and this is considered sensitive information, it cannot be discussed further on this platform, unfortunately. Apologies again for this.