Searching...

Internet down and not happy

Resolveitnow

The person who takes my call tomorrow may have wished they called in sick instead.

I demand at least one month's credit and the problem of no internet to be resolved as the highest of priorities.

Pretty disappointed your 24/7 support line is too busy and not available as promised

Going to be a difficult day for Optus 

Re: Internet down and not happy

petergdownload

I suspect Optus are looking into any outages as a matter of priority. 

FWIW many customers are now on the NBN and network issues may well be beyond their direct ability to fix.

The 24/7 system does seem to be experiencing difficulty at the moment. However in cases like this, contacting them is of little use (unless you want a second opinion as to whether your internet is down).

Hopefully the system will be back up shortly.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Dan_C

Hi @Resolveitnow, we've had roughly 96,000 customers impacted by the issue. You can imagine the influx of calls and comments we've received across social media today. I can confirm that the issue has now been resolved. We really do apologise for the interruption, we've worked as fast as we can to resolve the issue. 

For all updates on any wide spread outages or planned service maintenance, we do have a network status page →  http://yesopt.us/networkstatus. If you'd like to learn more about the cause of the outage, I've left a brief description below:

The issue has stemmed from a DHCP server issue. A DHCP server is responsible for automatically issuing users with a unique IP address. Due to the issue, customers were unable to re-connect/renew their DHCP leases. We noticed services coming back online at roughly 7.30 PM however due to the high number of DHCP requests, it's taken a bit longer than expected to have online modem sessions numbers back to normalised/expected levels.

If you have any other questions, let us know. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Resolveitnow

Why do I keep reading that for updates on network internet issues please refer to a website address. If the internet is down how does one do that???

My mobile number (which is also with Optus) is linked to my NBN service so why would Optus not send a text message to affected customers when the service goes down???

Instead they take a reactive approach and apologise after the problem is resolved.

Optus need to learn and dramatically improve from situations like this so you can avoid up to 96,000 angry customers.

petergdownload

@Resolveitnow

Most people have more than one method of reaching the internet. Your mobile phone could have checked out the Outage Site. 

The mobile phone update is an interesting one but possibly raises more issues than appears at first glance:

1. Not all customers have mobile phone contact details

2. If a number is available is that the contact number or just the person that pays the bill?

3. Mobile phone networks experience outages (no point sending an SMS then)

4. Of the 96,000 affected possibly only a small subset of them noticed. Sending an SMS out that your internet is temporarily down (while you are asleep in beed) is probably more annoying than appreciated.

5. In most cases the only SMS that can be sent are: 

a) Your Internet is down.

b) Your internet has been restored.

In both cases the customer already knows this and an SMS is not really all that helpful.

6. Many faults affect very ill defined areas. Junction Box K-432 might be experiencing issues, but just what exact houses are affected buy that piece of equipment? Who gets an SMS?

7. How many SMS do people want? Updates every hour? Just when its fixed?

All up I agree it would be great to get a timely, targetted notification that and outage is affecting you. But until a lot more work is done, then an up to date website would seem a reasonable way to keep most people informed IMO.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Resolveitnow

Hey Peter,

I appreciate your feedback and input on this subject, here are some of my thoughts:

1."Your mobile phone could have checked out the Outage Site" - of course but i'm using Mobile Data is limited to a set amount each month unlike the NBN which is unlimited hence why i use WI-FI at home.

2."Not all customers have mobile phone contact details" - that's a stretch to be honest i would argue that a significant high percentage of the 96,000 affected customers would have a mobile phone and many of these owuld be with Optus (bundling). Perhaps Optus could look at this percentage?

3. "Mobile phone networks experience outages" - that's a separate issue and if the mobile network is down i would suggest people are directed to internet for updates.

4. "Of the 96,000 affected possibly only a small subset of them noticed. Sending an SMS out that your internet is temporarily down (while you are asleep in beed) is probably more annoying than appreciated." - Really?? to say only a small subset noticed and would find it annoying to be notified is a bit offensive. I'm sure people who don't want to 'annoyed' later in the evening could turn their phones to silent but for customers like myself that use the internet predominantly between 5-11pm each night especially weekends would greatly appreciate proactive updates via SMS.

5. "In most cases the only SMS that can be sent are......" - I've had SMS's from Optus in the past relating to mobile data issues that state a network problem has been detected and they are working to fix it. updates were sent via SMS every hour until it was resolved.

6. "the customer already knows this and an SMS is not really all that helpful" - I completely disagree, at least by receiving this information i am aware there is a problem that is not loaclised to just me and avoids the need to attempt to contact Optus via phone, email, live chat and forums (like this one). This in turn ensures these customer service avenues are not unnecessarily tied up whom once they get through will be told what an SMS could advise anyway.

7. "How many SMS do people want? Updates every hour? Just when its fixed?" - Both, one when the problem is detected then hourly until the problem is resolved with a final SMS saying service is restored. Pretty simple as a this should be an automated process.

8. "Who gets an SMS?" - in this case the 96,000 people that were affected and have a mobile number listed on their account. If Optus knew that 96,000 services were affected they would be able to determine how many have mobile numbers that can be sent an SMS. It's about being proactive not reactive.

In this day and age telecommunications companies need to be adaptive to their customers and not take such a reactive approach to customer service and expect their customers to just accept it IMO

Regards

Stephen Renehan

petergdownload

All good points @Resolveitnow. Its definitely doable, however installing such a system is probably not trivial (and I've learnt the hard way that what seems like an obvious default setting to me others find supremely irritating and/or unwanted)

You did skip the point I thought most likely to cause problems with implimenting SMS notification (No 5). In almost all cases the precise households effected by an issue is usually unknown. I suppose Optus could err on sending SMSs to anyone possibly affected but IME false positives are likely to cause as much if not more anger for many users (its a bit of a no win really)  

Also with issue 1, I'm not suggesting using mobile data in any significant manner. Just that you can surf the internet to an outage page with a phone if your landline is down. (i.e. Its easy to "check the internet" when your internet is down.)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Dan_C

@Resolveitnow,

That's definitely valid feedback. Other than the comments left in response by Peter, I really don't have too much to add. We have a lot of changes planned over the course of the next year. We do plan on integrating our fixed product suite into the My Optus application which will include a fault progress tracking tool of some sort. The details I have on that one are still a bit hazy. If there's anything else you'd like to discuss with us, feel free to post back here. You can also send us a direct PM.

It's also important to add that we did broadcast live updates via FB and Twitter. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos