cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor toandinh
New Contributor

Internet connection fails after 1 minute

This ONLY happens with my MacBook Air with my home Wi-Fi. Sometimes whenever I turn on my laptop or wake it up from 'Sleep', the laptop connects to my home Wi-Fi as usual and the internet works fine. However, after a minute or 2, my laptop says that there is no internet connection at all and I cannot access the internet in any shape or form, even though it is still connected to the Wi-Fi (and the internet light is on at the modem).

All other home devices (mobiles and other laptops) are connected and can properly use the internet fine with no trouble.

The same laptop can connect to the internet of other Wi-Fi networks with no trouble at all (university, public libraries etc.).

It's just this laptop with my home Wi-Fi that this happens sometimes. After a few hours it will work normally again and I have no explanation why. 

PLEASE HELP!

8 Replies
Moderator Aman_B

Re: Internet connection fails after 1 minute

HI @ toandinh - Apologies for the inconvenience caused. Now this is strange as all other devices connect and work fine with the same connection and its only your laptop that has the issue and at the same time your laptop woks fine at other places. To get some basic troubleshooting done, could you please clear your Optus WiFI network and re add it. Please let us know if this helps. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor toandinh
New Contributor

Hello Aman, sorry for the late reply as I've been testing your solution for a few weeks. Thank you for your response.

Initially, after clearing the network and adding it in again, there was no connection trouble at all.

However, after a few days, the internet failed to connect (even though all other devices were connecting fine) so I did it again. 

Another few days passed and it was working perfectly until the internet connection failed again.

All in all, it was a temporary solution but the problem has sprung up again.

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I've experienced something similar my MacBook Air, 

I can't promise this will work, but can I get you to check the following?

1. Choose Apple menu.
  2. Choose System Preferences.
  3. Click Network. If the Network Preference is locked, click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password to make further changes. ...
  4. Choose Wi-Fi.
  5. Click Advanced, and then click TCP/IP.
  6. Click on the Configure IPv6pop-up menu and verify it is set to Off

Let us know if that's worked at all. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor danielbugeja
New Contributor

I have the same issue. My optus wifi drops out daily with my macbook air whilst working with other devices. If I turn my wifi off and then back on on my macbook it then reconnects for 30 seconds or so before dropping out again. Only restarting my modem will allow my macbook air to connect and start working. Generallty it works hassle free from the remainder of the day but sometimes I have to repeat this process. If this is not fixed soon I will be changing my wifi to another provider. 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @danielbugeja, I just have couple of questions for you.

What type of Broadband service do we have you connected to - Cable, NBN, ADSL etc?

Also, what's  the make and model of the WiFi router? 

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor danielbugeja
New Contributor

I use NBN and have:

Sagemcom F@st 3864V3

0 Kudos
New Contributor over_it
New Contributor

I have 'exactly' the same problem and have got no where with optus....

It is getting very frustrating........

Have you been able to fix this? 

0 Kudos
New Contributor over_it
New Contributor

I have exactly the same problem and I am getting no where with optus.....

Have you been able to fix this? 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors