Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Internet Speed

Hi 

This is this result of a speed test on my Optus cable internet service.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 3973 kbps (496.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1564 kbps (195.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 12 ms
Jitter: 4 ms
8/27/2016, 12:49:56 PM
 Can anybody tell me if this is ok or not.
Thanks
Dave
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Internet Speed

Your download speed is not that flash but everything else looks ok. Might pay to have a word with Optus to see if they can improve it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

12ms ping is amazing, at least for this country. Download speeds depends on your speed pack as you can see here, but you should be recieving between 20-30mbps on even the basic plan. Of course you can't expect to get that all the time but 4mbps is very low and 1pm is at least several hours from peak time yet. Upload is pretty on the ball as the maximum capable is 2mbps.

If speeds don't get better than this, especially later on past midnight, then I'd say it might be time to get in contact with Optus if you've already checked through the basics like your router/modem and computer etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply. Have just done another test and it is up to 13.12Mbps download speed so at least that is an improvement but still not great it would seem. Obviously the time of day can effect result. Will still go ahead and contact Optus regardless.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well that is an improvement however as TheCazador said above it is unusual to suffer from any network congestion at 1pm when you did the first test. I would certainly speak with Optus support as there may well be a fault of some sort.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I've just done a random speed test on my broadband service. Decided to use many different providers online Speed Testing sites.

Strangest thing, NO one elses speed testing gives speeds close to what Optus speed testing claims. WTF is going on with Optus???

Does Optus really think they can manipulate speed test results & that customers are so stupid we'll just accept the obvious deception.

Renewal of my Optus contracted services is looking more & more less likely. This is nothing more than professional theft (the Liberal Party mantra legalizing & encouraging professional theft from individuals by the big end of town). I won't spend hours on the phone complaining to or requesting a refund from their poorly spoken English third world employees......I'll just take my business elsewhere as my Optus mobiles & home broadband contracts conclude (& once I take my business away because of funky practises it goes without saying I'll never return)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi CoryC, sorry to hear about your internet speed issues. I would suggest to try some basic troubleshooting first → here and see how you go. If the issue persist then raise it with Tech Support on 131344 (open 24x7) to investigate further.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos