Searching...
Highlighted

Internet Speed NBN

StarLord

Anyone know why the internet (NBN) is so slow at Mount Cotton, QLD? Paying for the 50/20 and getting only about 5mb download speed Smiley Sad

Re: Internet Speed NBN

[ Edited ]
Slyddar

I'm in Rouse Hill NSW.  Paying for 100/40, getting 6/25 instead during peak hours.  During the day I sit around 40-50Mbps.

Seems Optus is just saturated at night. Only been with them a few months, and my ADSL2 I left behind was a better service.  Guess all we can do is ring and complain, building a log so we can then complain to the ACCC.  What I take offence to is paying 100% for a service that is delivering 5% of the promised data speed.  The support dude said they are working on the issue...of course they are, but seems like we should be paying 5% of the bill while they continue to deliver 5% of the service, until they can deliver what the contract between parties states.

The same speed test on my Optus mobile produces 50/6Mbs, so their network can handle the speed, but the NBN part is being throttled at night.

It's the rest of Australia with the same problem though, as this article posted a few hours ago details.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/nbn/the-big-lie-that-nbn-customers-are-being-sold/news-stor...

Rtowns

See my post - same experience in Springwood

LesJ

See the post after post after post in this forum about it.  It's a bad joke. 

Every single complaint gets told right across Australia " It's congestion, upgrades are planned but we don't know when". "cough".

Any mention here of Optus overselling capacity here just gets comletely ignored.

My 100/40 ATM at 2:20 pm, Saturday afternoon. Rockhampton QLD.

And the actual speed is worse because the speed tester is given prioity bandwith.

StarLord

Thanks for the reply everyone, the weird thing is this has only just started occuring for me in the last few days. Is this the same for you?

I guess I will just go through to Optus Support etc and then if I do not get a result soon I will complain to the Telecommunication Ombudsman. Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
LesJ

NBN came to our area late last year, so I got it put on straight away as my ADSL2 was very ordinary. Wasn't too bad for a couple of weeks then started going downhill. Several calls to the fault line later I got the infamous "congestion" excuse. Confirmed by Yes Crowd mods.

They blamed the school holidays and claimed it would get better when school started again.

Utter BS, schools back and speed is just degrading further.

My ADSL was better than what I got now.

Getting my Email sorted as foolishly years ago, when I joined an Optus that worked, I used their address.

Then I'm out of here.

Aman_B

Hi @StarLord, certainly not the best results. Have you contacted our faults team on 131344 for them to investigate it further? Aman

Aman_B

Hi @Slyddar, have you been dialling the 131344 number as that will get you through to our Tech Support team? They can run through some troubleshooting with you to help identify what's causing this.

Aman_B

Hi @LesJ and @Rtowns, could you please confirm if the speeds drop just during certain time of the day/night? 

Slyddar

"They can run through some troubleshooting with you to help identify what's causing this."

Something was broken at the exchange.  I was told a field tech was allocated to attend the site as many users were effected.  About 10 hours after I logged the call the service was returned.

Now I need to just get my speeds sorted and life can go on.  Getting speeds duirng peak times every night that are not even fast enough to sustain streaming video is frustrating.  Having to use my Optus mobile data instead of the NBN connection just to watch anything is frustrating.  Paying full price for a service that is not delivering what was agreed, you guessed it, frustrating.

Post a Reply
Introducing the Optus Business Care hub

Here you’ll find a complete suite of help and support exclusively for our small and medium business customers. Read More

Top Contributors
31 Kudos
9 Kudos
5 Kudos
5 Kudos
3 Kudos