Searching...
Highlighted

Internet Parental Controls

squid_ink

Having just moved to the NBN using the F@ST 3864V3AC Wifi the only parental controls are to limit time of day access - what about filters? There is no way to configure the likes of OpenDNS so how does Optus propose we protect our kids or are they happy to allow full, unfiltered internet into our homes???

Re: Internet Parental Controls

Jeneral__Pain

Parental controls aren't the "be all - end all" of parental controls, smart kids will work around it. Open DNS can be worked around, not to invalidate your choice but these external products are beyond the scope of Optus support.

What you can do, is inside the modem go into the DHCP Settings and tell it to use OpenDNS when it hands out the IP addressing to devices connecting to your network. This means all DNS requests go via OpenDNS instead of the modem, however, if you start having browsing issues, Optus won't be able to do anything whilst you use OpenDNS.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

Davelew

Hi

Besides what @Jeneral__Pain has suggested the other way is to buy a seperate router to connect to the Optus modem.

Mesh routers would seem the best way to go as the Netgear Orbi, Google wifi and now Kogan all have the options for parental control with easy setup.

Of course the setback is more expense.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
SillyGogo

PARENT-al control  not OPTUS-al control.. Optus is not in the business of looking after your children. Maybe consider what @Davelew suggested, paying a little for a dedicated device like Netgear Circle or router with more features. As a parent myself, I supervise my children's internet access, educate and inform them on safe internet usage. It is not 100%, nothing is, however, that would complement the parental filter and control devices. I am sure they will find ways around it in the near future. Good luck. !

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

squid_ink

Sillygogo ... You are an idiot.

[ Edited ]
SillyGogo

There is no need to get personal. I apologise if I have offended you. What really gets me is this "so how does Optus propose we protect our kids or are they happy to allow full, unfiltered internet into our homes" . Look, Optus like other ISP is contracted to provide internet access. What someone does on the internet that person's responsibility. Just like Holden sold someone a car, how that person behave on the road is out of Holden's control nor Holden should put limit or stipulate how how someone behave. Yes, putting in more airbags would make it a safer car, but you need to pay more for that. That is where getting a dedicate device or a BWM would give you those extra airbag that you are looking for. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
82 Kudos
40 Kudos
32 Kudos
25 Kudos
23 Kudos