Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor heads5150
Occasional Contributor

Inconsitent connection and drop outs

Hi All

Is anybody else experience constant drop outs on the NBN network in Pakenham, Victoria?

For the past 2 weeks I have consistently 4-5 drops out on a daily basis. They recover within 5-10 minutes  but it's affecting my ability to work from home.

I have tried:

1. Recycling the connection
  2. Unplugging the modem afor 30 seconds. 
  3. Turning the modem off over night
  4. Turning the modem off for 24 hours
  5. Purchasing a new modem as we don't use the phone anymore. I purchased the new modem because the SAGECOM just would not try to recover and we had to keep turning it off and on. I got a Netgear DM200 that we at least try to recover.

So far it's cost me a lot of GB on my mobile plan as I need to tether while working from home.

Anybody else? Any assistance?

Tags (3)
8 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Inconsitent connection and drop outs

Afternoon!

We'll need a little more information to troubleshoot with you further.

1. What type of NBN access technology are you using i.e. NBN-HFC-FTTP etc ?
  2. Are we thinking it's WiFi drop out or Network related? For example, have you tested a hardwired connection and monitored that over a set time period
  3. Do you know which version of the Sagemcom modem you have? Is it our Black AC modem or White OP modem? 
  4. Do you notice dropouts at any particular time of day i.e. Evenings or afternoon's
-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

1. What type of NBN access technology are you using i.e. NBN-HFC-FTTP etc ? FTTN
  2. Are we thinking it's WiFi drop out or Network related? For example, have you tested a hardwired connection and monitored that over a set time period. Definitely network. The Netgear DM200 only is a modem and it's connected to a Ubiquiti USG and Ubiquiti Switch. During outages I can ping my network cable devices and the main router across my network. A Uniquiti Access Point is dedicated to provide WIFI.
  3. Do you know which version of the Sagemcom modem you have? Is it our Black AC modem or White OP modem? White but as stated I swapped for a Netgear DM200 due to the fact that the Sagecom even though it had approximately the same dropout issues it would not try to automatically recover.
  4. Do you notice dropouts at any particular time of day i.e. Evenings or afternoon's Today it's been approximately 7:45am, 9:30am, 12:05pm, 13:50pm, 16:30pm and 17:50pm
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Further to this full internet drop outs at 7:10pm and 7:55pm approximately.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

It's happened twice again this morning, I'm attaching the modem logs with the IP address masked by 255.255.255.255.

The last two disconnects were at 6:59am and 6:52am Monday 10/12/2018.

optus_20181210.PNG

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

For clarification, do you lose DSL connection and Internet connection - or just Internet connection? If you are unsure, the LED indicators on the 3864 show each.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi newline

When I *was* using the 3864 both indicators would go out.  As stated on numerous occasions in this thread I switched to a Netgear DM200 modem as I wanted to do my routing through a ubiquiti usg. Thanks for the clarification question. 

In a more general broadcast the silence from any Optus representative is currently deafening. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@heads5150 The DSL indicator indicates whether or not you are connected to your node (NBN). The Internet indicator indicates whethere or not you are connected to Optus (have an IP address). If the issue occurs with both 3864 and Netgear, the modems are not the problem. It will be the connection between them and the node (NBN).

If I am correct, Optus should be getting NBNCo to check your connection. I'm unsure where the NBN's responsibility ends: so, it may be in your interest to get your house wiring (wall outlet to Telstra connection box) checked.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Newline.

It'd be nice to get a response from Optus though.

0 Kudos