cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor ChrisRob
New Contributor

If we want fibre to the premises

Hi, NBN is coming to our area and we would like to ensure we have fibre to our premises. We realise we will have to pay in the thousands for this, however who do we contact to organise it? If we go with Optus, do they install it, or do we have to contact the NBN to install it? Thanks for any assistance.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: If we want fibre to the premises

First you need to be conencted to NBN inwhatever way they were rolling out for your address.

Once connected you need to go through this process with NBN.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/learn/network-technology/technology-choice-program

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted
New Contributor ChrisRob
New Contributor

Thanks, much appreciated!

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hello,

@Paddylee has the right links. You can apply directly to the NBN and the quote and install the fibre or you can ask OPtus to apply on your behalf. 

However you should probably hold off for the time being for a number of reasons.

1) Cost. The only quotes I've seen are astranomical ($10,000+) - The Whirlpool Quote list is here

2) Alternatives. At the moment only FTTP is being offered but NBNCo is trialling a FTTN=>FTTC option that could provide essentially the same perfomance as FTTP but for much less. Started a month ago

3) Many times a quote won't be given until the area itself goes NBN live anyway

But most importantly its highly probable you will get the full 100Mbps/40Mbps capability on the technology NBN uses for free (even on FTTN). Probably available much sooner than any customer fibre install too. I would just try out the NBN and see what it gives you before trying to fix something that might not need fixing.

What NBN tech are you slated to get? FTTN? Check here

There's a bit of an informed rant on the technology "choice" here

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor ChrisRob
New Contributor

Thanks Peter, I just checked and we are destined to get FTTC so that should be faster than FTTN and maybe as good as FTTP

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Most certainly. Lucky You. Looks like you just saved yourself $350. 

FTTC can hit 250Mbps pretty easily and will probably be improved to even faster after the rollout is completed. I assume at some point NBNCo will start offering relatively cheap upgrades to cover that last 50m of copper with fibre but you'll probably wonder if its worth the money as the actual speeds you get won't change. But that's for another day.

Peter Gillespie

Top Contributors