Searching...
Highlighted

If I can’t turn my hfc nbn Sagemcom modem to bridge, how do I use my airports?

[ Edited ]
MaxDB

Help!

ive been supplied a Sagemcom fast3864v3 midem which I’m told can’t be set to bridge. My issue is I’ve run a netgear cable modem in bridge for years as I have an AirPort Extreme running my ip routing to multiple devices (tvs, computers, etc) over cat5 and a couple of AirPort expresses (as extenders also connected by cat5). I also have solar batteries that only talk to my existing network over wifi, so if I change any of my up settings or login details, my battery doesn’t work properly...and I won’t be able to lig into it to change its network settings)If the Sagemcom can’t be set to bridge, and as far as I know I can’t have 2 devices handling dhcp/up routing on the same network, what do I do? Can I simple buy a new dumb(non wifi) modem, set it to bridge and plug in my existing AirPort based network?

Or can I just plug my AirPort Extreme directly into the nbn hfc box , let that handle all ip and simply not use the Sagemcom modem as I don’t use my landline at all??

By the way the people on the IT chat with Optus are clueless and rude and can’t help me at all. Please somebody help!!

Re: If I can’t turn my hfc nbn Sagemcom modem to bridge, how do I use my airports?

SamSam

You can plug directly into the NBN Modem and put the Sagecom in the cupboard. The only thing you'll lose is the ability to use the landline service that's bundled into NBN bundle plans. If you need the landline service, the Sagecom modem needs to be used unfortunately. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

Re: If I can’t turn my hfc nbn Sagemcom modem to bridge, how do I use my airports?

MaxDB

Thanks Sam 

its installed and seems to be working with the sagemcom plugged and and my AirPort Extreme plugged into lan1, but I am getting a double NAT message when I launch the AirPort utility.

my devices are still connecting to the network through my AirPorts so everything seems to working... nothing looks like it’s talking directly to the sagemcom...

should I be concerned about having 2 NATs?

im reading conflicting opinions when I search for info!

SamSam

Personally I would try and resolve the double NAT issue. It might all be working fine now but it could cause issues in the future so I'd try and sort it out before the problems arise.

That said though, if it's working you don't really need to do anything if you're happy Smiley Happy

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
101 Kudos
63 Kudos
26 Kudos
23 Kudos
18 Kudos