Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Ninny
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have been given somebody else's home phone number

Last month my wifi NBN internet was down for 3 weeks because of an Optus fault.  This week it was down 2 days.  I then start getting contact from friends asking my why my home phone was not working and listed as disconnected.  I then find out that my home phone number has been cancelled and replaced with an 03 number which is 2000kms away in Victoria. I am in Queensland.  I am then contacxted by an extremely concerned lady from Victoria who tells me that I now have the phone number which belongs to an 87 year old man in Victoria.  As Optus have given me his number, he has no Life Alert contact and now way to conact any one in an emergency. This elderly man is blind and extremely upset.  I complained to Optus and was assured someone would contacvt me yesterday which did not happen.  I can not understand how I can be given and area Code number of 03 which is not even the state that I live in.  I am hoping the old fellow who desperately needs his phone back gets it soon but so far nothing is happening from Optus. Has anyone ever had there home phone number changed by Optus with not authority what so ever.  I am not happy. Internet is often down and when running is very slow. Some times will not even run Netflix.  And now no one can phone me because of another Optus stuff up.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Phone

Yes phone numbers can get mixed up. As they're now handled via the NBN it can be someone mistyped something and the numbers got misassigned. I can only suggest you need to keep contacting Optus. Find out if this is something the NBN has to fix and ask Optus to get on the case. The old man also needs to make contact. He may give you some info like address etc. so you can help Optus sort it but privacy laws will probably prevent you getting too far.

I'll flag a mod as this does sound like it needs some higher level co-ordination @Ray_YC @AlistarS 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Phone

Thanks Peter.

Hi there Ninny,

Hopefully you have been contacted by now?

If not, do you have any reference numbers for the complaint so we can try to follow this up?

We’re unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd but would like to do our best to try and resolve this for all involved.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
Top Contributors