Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
anitajm
New Contributor
New Contributor

Huawei e3372 Dongle - Smart TV

My mother-in-law recently purchased a SIM from Optus for the internet.   She was advised to go and purchase a Huawei e3372 from the post office as Optus did not have any in store.   She mainly uses the internet for Netflix, Stan etc and was told that she could simply plug the USB into the tv and have internet access.   This, obviously, did not work.

We purchased a TPLink Router from Office Works to plug the Huawei e3372 into.   It seems that Optus does not support the use of the TPLink Router and it is locked.   What modem/router can we use to plug the Huawei e3372 into?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nard_YC

Re: Huawei e3372 Dongle - Smart TV

Hi there @anitajm. If the Smart TV supports a WiFi connection it may be better to use our Prepaid Optus E5577 4G WiFi modem to connect it to your TV wirelessly.

Another option would be our Postpaid 4G Home Internet option if available at your address as it uses our Huawei B818 WiFi modem. 

Keep in mind these services have data allowances tied to them so if your mother-in-law is a heavy streamer it may be better to look into our unlimited data options such as Fixed Broadband (e.g NBN) or 5G Home Broadband.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

anitajm
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply.  We are really disappointed that she was given the wrong advice.  She explained to the young man in the store that she was not technically savvy and he told her that it was easy to set-up to the tv and that anyone could do it.   After we spent a few hours trying to connect it and then buying a router (that wasnt supported by Optus) she is obviously disheartened and out of pocket!

0 Kudos
Tina_YC

Thanks for getting back to us, @anitajm

If you'd like for us to take a look into this for you, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus app. Our Messaging team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible. If for some reason you’re unable to use the My Optus app, please send a private message to the official Optus Facebook page or Twitter page for further assistance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@anitajmI would try to get Optus to re-imburse the cost of the E3372 as  Optus staff recommended the USB stick.

For the Officeworks TP-link router who recommended it? If it was officeworks staff then take it back for a refund or if it was someone else check out the officeworks return policy ASAP as you may be able to return it if you meets the return conditions.

There are TP-link routers that do work with the E3372, but it's been a very very long time since I used this configuration and I did not use it for very long.