cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
New Contributor
New Contributor

Huawei b818 with nbn™ Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) connection

I'm with optus 500gb 4G broadband plan, because i moved houses and when i first moved the NBN was not rolled in my area, when i signed out for the plan i decided to buy the modem outright so wouldnt have to commit to a plan for too long, the  NBN has been rolled out and i'm looking to switch to an NBN plan, mainly because of the  data allowance 500GB is a lot but he have gone over a couple times.

the only options to move into an NBN unlimited plan with optus at the moment requires that i get a WIFI modem, wich is "free" if i stay in the plan for 36 months, since i just bought a modem allready a 4G modem/router but with most of the features that any other WIFI modem/router has; it supports PPOE connection over Ethernet, i'm thinking i could use this modem with the NBN connection that is available in my area, all i would have to do is connect my Huawei ethernet port to the nbn's access network device (the black box that nbn supplies when installing the service) I have tried to ask this to different people over chats and on the phone .. but the idea does not compute to any of the people i have spoken to, mostly 1st level support and or sales. so i tough i ask the question here maybe somebody has tried this  or knows whether there would be any technical reason as to why this definitely would not work.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Huawei b818 with nbn™ Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) connection

With NBN HFC you don't need a separate modem as the NBN Box will do that. 

You don't need any authentication so you wouldn't use PPPOE, you just need Dynamic IP. If the b818 supports a WAN connection via a LAN port, does it support Dynamic IP (i.e. DHCP)? If it does it should work (in general) but.....

1) An Optus NBN connection must first be activated with an Optus supplied router, but once that is done you can use any router you want. Currently, the NBN approved routers are:

Optus Ultra WiFi Modem
Sagemcom F@st 5366 TN
Sagemcom F@st 3864V3 OP
Sagemcom F@st 3864V3 AC
Sagemcom F@st 3864
Netgear EVG2000

2) If you intend to use the Optus supplied NBN landline you can generally only use an Optus supplied router.